global shipping damage

Options
I've been using the GSP a lot over the past year after getting quite a few 'lates' from overseas buyers. However the past week or so I've had 2 items very badly damaged- almost smashed to pieces.

I've got one case opened so far but the second buyer (in Italy) says that they are reluctant to open a case and prefer to write it off as the couriers are mishandling a lot of items and lots of things arrive in pieces. Obviously I've told them to just open a case but they are being really really nice and I feel guilty.

The issue is that once a case is open ebay take nearly a week to sort it out which annoys me. When it's us that have to pay out we are urged to do it quickly, when it's ebay they can take as long as they like it seems. I'm also a bit untrusting of ebay and worry that they may accidentally close the case, give me a defect and force me to refund (my part of the money at least). I've phoned them about the current open case and they have said they will escalate it as soon as possible to avoid the case timing out.

I am happy with my packaging and manage perfectly well when I ship my own items - it's just I have no idea what the couriers ebay use do to batter the boxes so badly! Has anyone else started to have issues with damaged GSP items?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I’ve just started to look into using GSP as I’ve never done many overseas sales before, if I have it’s been a buyer contact me and I’ve agreed.

Does seem like eBay takes forever to sort anything out though.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    According to the T&Cs the late feedback doesn't count so long as you deliver to the UK handling centre promptly.

The GSP uses Yodel for UK deliveries, so they're going for cheap couriers rather than good ones. You can see which couriers they use from the tracking, I buy a lot from the US and packages get handled by 6 different companies before they get to me, thankfully no issues with loss or damage yet.

Why don't you ship directly to EU customers?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dj1471 wrote: »
    According to the T&Cs the late feedback doesn't count so long as you deliver to the UK handling centre promptly.

The GSP uses Yodel for UK deliveries, so they're going for cheap couriers rather than good ones. You can see which couriers they use from the tracking, I buy a lot from the US and packages get handled by 6 different companies before they get to me, thankfully no issues with loss or damage yet.

Why don't you ship directly to EU customers?

My lates were from sending direct so pre date me using the GSP.

I do ship my smaller lighter items direct to Europe and further but use GSP for more expensive items or things that are heavy in relation to their value.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure