Where to find a dog

Options

Comments

• Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A small dog does not necessarily mean less exercise. Terrier types are working dogs, so need both physical and mental stimulation. This is a common mistake people make with corgis, for example. Corgis were bred to herd cattle, so they can quickly become frustrated if they don't get enough of the right type of physical exercise. Just because a corgi has stumpy legs doesn't make him a lapdog.

A rescue center I know is inundated with "tea cup" or "handbag" dogs. The fashion for them has meant there's been a boom in irresponsible breeding and stupid owners dumping the dogs. The poor dogs often can't walk properly because they've either been bred badly ( to make them as tiny as possible), or have spent so much time bring carried their muscles have wasted.

Never never never buy a dog from Gumtree, Preloved etc.

A previous suggestion about the Cinnamon Trust is a good one. Also, ask rescue centres if they need regular dog walkers to exercise the dogs that they have. If you or the children cannot commit to regular walking for a rescue, then a dog won't be right for you ( e.g. if you commit to every Sunday afternoon, it means, every Sunday afternoon, no matter if it's Birthday party, or the football is on , or it's pouring with rain etetc etc.)

Children love the idea of dogs until they have to fill the poop bags in the pouring rain!
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Both borrow my dog and the. Cinnamon trust are good, have you looked at dog sitting. I have heard of digs for dogs in my area.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please read he story of Snoop. He had been abandoned, but is now in a loving forever home. Snoop seems to be a lovely dog, despite the trauma he went through.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6798763/Dumped-Staffie-plight-went-viral-gets-new-home.html
  • Franz123
    Franz123 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2019 at 2:06AM
    Options
    It's better for you to adopt dogs at the shelter instead of buying. You can get a big dog to act as your guard dog and have this giant dog crate which will make your dog comfortable even when caged. :)
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Please read he story of Snoop. He had been abandoned, but is now in a loving forever home. Snoop seems to be a lovely dog, despite the trauma he went through.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6798763/Dumped-Staffie-plight-went-viral-gets-new-home.html

I well remember the original video of him being dumped, it was so upsetting - absolutely heartbreaking.

What a lovely home he has now, really deserves it.

I do hope they prosecuted his original owner:mad:
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They never traced the original owner. When the video of Snoopy in his new home hit the internet RSPCA still asking if anyone knew the original owner?
  • Franz123
    Options
    That's a piece of really sad news...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Franz123 wrote: »
    That's a piece of really sad news...
    but with a very happy ending for Snoop...
  • Franz123
    Options
    Yeah you are right, I bet Snoop is happy now. :)
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Never never never buy a dog from Gumtree, Preloved etc.

I disagree. If you do the research, Gumtree is fine. I bought my lovely Schnauzer cross via Gumtree. She was born on June 1st 2017 in an ordinary house with a large garden where she spent her early weeks playing with her siblings in the sunshine. The owner was not a breeder; she just happened to have two dogs and nature took its course. My wife and I visited the puppies, through a Gumtree ad, at three weeks old and again at six weeks old before we made our choice and brought Daisy home at nine weeks. On all these occasions we were able to interact with Daisy's mum and dad - lovely dogs with a super temperament. Daisy has turned out to be an affectionate and intelligent dog. Now 21 months old, she is a happy, healthy, well behaved, lively and very loving member of the family.

So don't write off Gumtree and other on line platforms completely. Just do your research and take the trouble to visit the puppy in its home environment and meet its parents (or at least mum) before committing.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure