Working overseas after graduation

Need some advice on student loan repayments.. want to challenge the repayment scheme for students who live and work overseas after graduation.
The threshold charges for students who work in uk after graduation who earn, say, £27,000 is £15 monthly after 6th April...I live and work in Singapore the student loan company are asking for...£120 per month and interest is @ 5,88%
Absolutely criminal..
Would appreciate any advice to challenge this.
It's not taking into account Singapore cost of living - my rent is almost £1400 per month not including bills, transport etc but the adjustment tariffs for students who move abroad for work after graduation is ridiculous
Singapore tariff
Singapore Singapore Dollar 0.562614 £15,000.00 £27,000.00 £120.60
:mad:.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,765
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    They are not asking for £120, that is the amount if you don't declare your income. Provided you declare, you pay 9% of earnings over £15,000 in Singapore.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,640
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Maybe the £120 is 9% of his earnings over the equivalent of £15,000.

The rates are set by the Department of Education so you would need to contact them.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The rates are not a secret, you could have checked before deciding to work in Singapore and taken the loan repayments into account, but didn't. Why should the hard pressed UK taxpayer who funded your education give two figs for your cost of living when you're not paying any taxes here yourself?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,765
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    sheramber wrote: »
    Maybe the £120 is 9% of his earnings over the equivalent of £15,000.

Implying an annual salary of £31,000. That should be manageable.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure