Car Insurance Claim Nightmare

Options

Comments

• Oraclepam
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Usually you are asked about any part time employment as well as full time occupation when applying for insurance
    Sadly in this instance she was not asked. I was with her during the process. Unfortunately we cannot prove this. It's our word against the brokers and we should have checked the fine print I guess :(
    Going to call them again today......
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You said she walks to the part time job so this is a red herring - she would not need insurance to cover this as the car would not be used.

This as well as the fact that work does not start until she reaches the place and actually does some work.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2019 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Oraclepam wrote: »
    Sadly in this instance she was not asked. I was with her during the process. Unfortunately we cannot prove this. It's our word against the brokers and we should have checked the fine print I guess :(
    Going to call them again today......

If there is a broker involved then a formal complaint in line with the broker's complaints procedure is a route to go down

Does the policy docs include something like " no part time occupation"?

All complaints over this need to come from your Daughter
  • Oraclepam
    Options
    If there is a broker involved then a formal complaint in line with the broker's complaints procedure is a route to go down

Does the policy docs include something like " no part time occupation"?

All complaints over this need to come from your Daughter
    I am acting on my daughters behalf with the insurers permission.
    Are you saying I should complain to the broker and not the actual company who insure us?
    The policy states Full time student then further down in small print brackets it says( inc PT employment.)
  • Quentin
    Options
    Formal complaints to both
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 February 2019 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Oraclepam wrote: »
    I am acting on my daughters behalf with the insurers permission.
    Are you saying I should complain to the broker and not the actual company who insure us?
    The policy states Full time student then further down in small print brackets it says( inc PT employment.)

It is up to you, but the broker isn’t going to pay you if your complaint is succesful. You therefore only need complain to the insurers.
  • Quentin
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    It is up to you, but the broker isn’t going to pay you if your complaint is succesful. You therefore only need complain to the insurers.

The broker looks to have acted negligently

Brokers are supposed to ensure the correct information is asked for and submitted to the insurer

Brokers found to have been negligent can be made to pay compensation if their negligence has cost the client!

Hence why a complaint against the broker is advised
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The broker looks to have acted negligently

Brokers are supposed to ensure the correct information is asked for and submitted to the insurer

Brokers found to have been negligent can be made to pay compensation if their negligence has cost the client!

Hence why a complaint against the broker is advised

When did the OP suggest she wanted to pursue a negligence claim against the broker?

She has asked for help in resolving her insurance claim.
  • Oraclepam
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    When did the OP suggest she wanted to pursue a negligence claim against the broker?

She has asked for help in resolving her insurance claim.
    I'll complain to anyone who will move this god damn nightmare forward! Update from yesterday = no update, same story. Won't tell me if car has been looked at, can't tell me if my daughter is insured or not, nothing received back from 3rd party regarding liability, basically everything is on hold whilst the underwriters take their sweet time in deciding whether to ruin us or not over a minute discrepancy. As well as all this it is costing me £100 per month for a policy we are not able to use. Disgusting. How is this fair? ::mad:
  • sttony
    sttony Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Bizarre situation. Looks as though they are trying void the policy or some other unsavoury thing.

I know exactly what to do, as I do this day in and day out, but do not want to put you in an awkward position. I am just saying;

Hypothetically speaking, providing there was no personal injury involved on your side....

1 Obtain full name, address of driver responsible and their insurance details.(you may have this already, if not get it from your insurers)
    2 Issue a letter of claim against that driver (plenty of CPR template letters online and do contact the other insurance company to ensure they do in fact indemnify the other driver or you are suing a person of straw potentially)
    3 If (2) is fine, Issue proceedings against the driver after the expiration of the letter of claim to include all losses even if their insurers respond (providing no allegations of low velocity/fraud, contributory negligence or something that seeks to avoid responsibility)
    4 Follow all the court orders
    5 Hearing date

To be honest - based on the circumstances you would get an admission from the other side, but you would have to prove losses. Not much research needed for small track claims and you will be surprised how easy it is.

Do the above in conjunction with your complaint against the insurer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure