PIP award for 16 year old

Options
2»

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm fairly sure there are vast swathes of people with children who qualify for motability cars who don't put a very strict definition on the "purpose" bit. Rightly or wrongly.

If I was a single parent with two children and qualified for motability, I honestly don't think the scheme envisages that I have two cars - one for the "qualifying" child (A) and one for the other (B), so if I take B to a birthday party whilst A is on a respite day away I could not use the motability car - despite there being zero benefit to child A from the activity.

It's just a function of the simplicity of the scheme.

That's not to say that there isn't gross abuse possible, which I'm equally sure goes on. But there must be a grey area of acceptable use within the practicalities of the system which goes beyond the very simplistic one car, one user / beneficiary model.

Similarly on the road tax - I can't imagine there are many families who can benefit from the free road tax where each and every journey in the tax free car includes the person entitled to the benefit, especially those families with more than one child (even if only one qualifies).

I'm something of a stickler for the rules generally, so I would be very, very cautious about making sure there was no hint of abuse of the benefits if we made use of the motability or the road tax facilities, hence me asking the questions here.

The bottom line is that it is a simplistic system, and yet is very very widespread in use. Those two things aren't compatible for most family set ups, so the reality must be that there is some practical, accepted flexibility in the system. But whether that is written down, I don't know!
  • larkim
    Options
    Just to add, I've just had an online chat with motability, and they certainly evidenced the flexibility in a family context that I was interested in.

I asked if my son was away on a residential trip, could the rest of my family use the motability car for a day trip out - they said yes.

I asked if I could use a motability car for day to day commuting whilst he is at school / college - they said yes.

They said they take family situation into account.

I would suggest that anyone with any concerns about motability use runs the scenarios past their web-chat facility and would reckon you'd get a comprehensive and clear answer from them.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you or not, Larkim, but we took advantage of the Motability Scheme when my son was awarded enhanced rate care and mobility at 16. Our situation is different to yours as I'm a single parent and we didn't have a car at all (due to not being able to afford one). I am also always concerned about (a) not doing anything that could be construed as fraud or misuse and (b) doing what's best for my son both in the long and short term - it can be difficult to work out what to do! I received similar advice to you which put my mind to rest. I do find having a vehicle that I don't have to worry about is a real luxury and it has made a huge difference to our lives.

Personally I would make the most of anything that is possible, as you never know when things may change. Whether taking the vehicle or saving the money (or spending it!) feels like the best option, do whatever is best for you all at the present time.
  • larkim
    Options
    Thanks LocoLoco, that's a helpful experience for me to draw on.

One thing I do need to keep an eye on is that as he matures into a young adult, some of the factors which have helped him score "well" on the mobility element may well reduce over time - at the moment he would be very vulnerable out and about on his own and that justifies being accompanied and needing support. But if his development through College etc pays dividends, some of that should fall away which would (rightly) reduce his ability to justify a claim for the higher rates of PIP.
  • LocoLoco
    Options
    larkim wrote: »
    Thanks LocoLoco, that's a helpful experience for me to draw on.

One thing I do need to keep an eye on is that as he matures into a young adult, some of the factors which have helped him score "well" on the mobility element may well reduce over time - at the moment he would be very vulnerable out and about on his own and that justifies being accompanied and needing support. But if his development through College etc pays dividends, some of that should fall away which would (rightly) reduce his ability to justify a claim for the higher rates of PIP.

I'm glad it's helpful - I find other people's experiences useful so I try to share if I can :) We're in a similar situation; son may become more independent as time goes on (I hope!) so I do keep an eye on what he can do and what the various criteria are and I am careful not to misuse what we're given. Hope it all goes well for you, whichever way you decide to go with it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure