2»

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2019 at 12:04PM
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I feel policies are set out to be confusing, so the companies can confuse people.
    Bussiness insurance should cover someone for travelling to a bussiness.

I agree. However, working hours start from when one arrives at "work". One is normally paid only when one is at work. Working hours in an employment contract normally commences when one arrives at work. Time outside work time is social and domestic time, unless there is a specific phrase or guidance or exclusion using the phrase or words "to and from work" or "commuting" .

Business insurance always normally covers travel to and from work.
  • jsj25
    jsj25 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update: I've just spoken to Direct Line, my current insurers, and it turns out that my named driver was covered for this type of journey after all (believe it or not!).

When I spoke to them, I asked them to clarify who was covered for what as per the terms of my insurance. I was told that ALL drivers are insured for social, domestic, pleasure AND commuting. As the policyholder, only I am covered for business travel. I was surprised to hear her say that commuting was covered as it's clearly not mentioned on my policy certificate. The adviser queried this with a Team Leader who said that, as my policy is down as Business Class 1, all named drivers are automatically covered for commuting purposes, and she didn't know why the document only specifies SDP. I've made a note of the adviser's name, and the time and date of the call, but in hindsight is this something I should have asked to receive in writing?

I also queried whether my named driver's journey counts as 'commuting'. The named driver works at multiple sites and usually uses her own car to travel there. Despite working at multiple sites, she only ever uses my car to drive to the same, fixed site. I was told that this would be covered under commuting.

So, on the basis that she was covered (against the odds), we've decided to go ahead and claim through the insurance. I just hope it all gets settled quickly - this really hasn't been worth the hassle. :eek: I've still got a niggling worry that I should try and get some paper record of being covered for commuting, though...
  • jsj25
    jsj25 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I do think it's worth checking because I've just had this debate with parents insurance company to be added as a named driver. The standard policy wouid cover me for commuting but not for full business cover - they declined to add that on.
    My policy with my new insurers is due to begin any day now. That only covered SDPC - not Business. After this whole fiasco, I've called them up to upgrade my policy to cover Business use for all drivers, and to my surprise the additional cost (including a £20 admin fee) only came to £56. For so little, it might be worth paying the extra to upgrade.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    jsj25 wrote: »
    Very frustratingly, as there did not appear to be any damage to the bumper at the scene of the accident, my named driver inexplicably didn't think it necessary to get the other driver's insurance details, .
    You can get the insurance details by using the askmid website:

www.askMID.com

(FOC if you use a smartphone)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    MisterP123 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree, the OP is bricking it about a possible fraudulent claim. So..... Is it worth it?
    How will making a claim against the third party be "fraudulent"?

Of course it's worth it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport