Amazon seller 'loses stock' a week after apparently posting it?

Options
Is this now a 'thing' on Amazon.

I have been avoiding marketplace items due to a number of problems in the past. However saw something I wanted, fairly new seller but a good price so I ordered. 5 days later I get a dispatch notice which was apparently late. Waited a week and nothing arrived so contacted seller and get a message basically saying they have lost their stock in an incident and cannot supply so will arrange a refund in due course.

That's it, nearly 2 weeks after ordering they suddenly have lost all their stock but can't immediately refund me? Strange how it was supposedly dispatched a week ago.

Not impressed at all.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Amazon are annoying me with the delivery dates.

2 linked items, one available Thursday and one Friday, choose deliver both on Friday. Huge box arrives on Thursday with one item and a sensible sized box arrives Friday with the 2nd item.

Why can their system not deliver items on the date i chose?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Is this now a 'thing' on Amazon.

I have been avoiding marketplace items due to a number of problems in the past. However saw something I wanted, fairly new seller but a good price so I ordered. 5 days later I get a dispatch notice which was apparently late. Waited a week and nothing arrived so contacted seller and get a message basically saying they have lost their stock in an incident and cannot supply so will arrange a refund in due course.

That's it, nearly 2 weeks after ordering they suddenly have lost all their stock but can't immediately refund me? Strange how it was supposedly dispatched a week ago.

Not impressed at all.

Being suspicious I would have a look at Ebay and see if similar has been sold lately. I wouldn't be surprised if a marketplace seller sells on both platforms and either the Ebay one sold before they removed it from Amazon or they got a better price on Ebay whilst they were getting it ready for posting.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,310 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    Being suspicious I would have a look at Ebay and see if similar has been sold lately. I wouldn't be surprised if a marketplace seller sells on both platforms and either the Ebay one sold before they removed it from Amazon or they got a better price on Ebay whilst they were getting it ready for posting.

I'm just annoyed that they only cancelled the sale nearly 2 weeks after I bought it and only after marking it dispatched and on its way. There are others on eBay , a bit more expensive and I doubt I could spot the same seller as they are all using stock photos.

A friend has just suggested it was a drop shipper, hence dispatch details confirmed by seller who only chased it up once I asked where item was and then discovered drop shipper hadn't sent at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2019 at 5:25PM
    Options
    It's an immature Amazon seller that doesn't refund straight away, even if they're genuine it isn't worth the hassle to not immediately refund. Those sellers all deserve an AtoZ claim to get rid of them.

I actually had the same problem on Ebay. Bought something Jan 2nd, had an immediate response of dispatch with a tracking number. I'd actually forgotten about it and waited about 3 weeks before checking. Tracking said it wasn't received by the courier, seller was unresponsive, opened a claim, received a refund in 36 hours.

Some of us on Amazon are very good marketplace sellers. I'm 99% fulfilled by Amazon but occasionally send stuff and it goes out within 24 hours, usually first class when the customer expects second. I can usually spot a dodgy marketplace seller but mainly because I know Amazon so well, it's not that easy for your average punter.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    RFW, your post prompted me to go and look at the fees on Amazon, and the posts on seller forums made me think, OMG, nothing changes! LOL
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    Options
    RFW, your post prompted me to go and look at the fees on Amazon, and the posts on seller forums made me think, OMG, nothing changes! LOL
    The seller forums sure are scary. As for fees I'd guess it depends what you sell but overall they're much the same for me as Paypal/Ebay.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    I gave up reading it as I was shattered at the end of a busy week, we have a new born too. However, I would like to get onto Amazon. I didn't see any straightforward examples of pricing which would have been useful, and there were some dead "for further information" links which were a bit annoying.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    Options
    I gave up reading it as I was shattered at the end of a busy week, we have a new born too. However, I would like to get onto Amazon. I didn't see any straightforward examples of pricing which would have been useful, and there were some dead "for further information" links which were a bit annoying.
    It's all easy enough. I don't know if you'd be a pro seller or not. If not you get an 80p (I think) transaction payment as well as the fees. For a pro seller it is £30ish per month and usually around 15% transaction fees.

I'd recommend picking 3 or 4 products that sell and giving it a go. There's no listing fee, only fees after sales.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure