Post Office mispricing mistake

Options
My husband has just delivered two ebay parcels for me at our main post office and both have pricing mistakes.
One tracked to USA small parcel £9.65 but priced for letter at £7.25
One medium parcel UK second class £5.05 (less than 1kg) but priced for small parcel 2nd £2.95

Our sub post office is excellent but being refurbished and this one counter clerk at the main PO has made mistakes before, eg insists we do not need the Haz label for sending perfumes within the UK. Tells husband that's only for Europe and Worldwide not even knowing that perfumes cannot be posted by air.

Husband did query today's mistakes but clerk insisted that he was correct.

I don't want the ebay buyers to have to pay extra postage but also do not want to alert them to a problem if, by chance, these manage to get to their address ok without incurring extra charges.

What to do? These would have been moved onto the collection depot by now so too late to go back to PO.
Saving money right, left and centre

Comments

• in_my_wellies
    Options
    Did he get proof of postage? I've had this happen. I warned the buyer to let me know if they had a problem. I asked them not to pay any excess but to let me take it up with the PO where I could show the POP as proof that a mistake was made. Neither got back to me so presumably they were delivered without a problem.
    Please let us know
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply IMW. Yes, he got a POP for me, and it also clearly shows that stamps weren't used, is was the PO APL from their printer.

Will update this thread. I think there must be a lot of money going missing if the guy has been making these sort of mistakes with other customers.
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The US one won't get a surcharge anyway it doesn't work like that.

Someone on here some time ago said that the printed Post Office "stamps" would not leave you a surcharge. If I remember right, if they do get checked it's the PO that gets in trouble.

Oddly enough the only time I ever got a surcharge was when the PO machines were down and the PO clerk put the stamps on incorrectly.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    I sent small parcel/large letter to the US and it was returned to me with a sticker over the TO address stating there wasn’t enough postage. I think it was 6p off.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I sent small parcel/large letter to the US and it was returned to me with a sticker over the TO address stating there wasn’t enough postage. I think it was 6p off.
    Was that a Post office printed label?
  • emmbrook
    Options
    I’ve had several post office counters tell me recently that I can send a tube over 45cm long as a small package. Except you can’t - it’s a medium parcel. I doubled checked with Royal Mail who confirmed the pricing. I always use stamps so had I listened to the clerks my buyers would not have been happy.... Seems to be a fairly regular occurrence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure