Lloyds Bank - lax security?

Options
I'm in the process of changing my email address, and it's a long frustrating business. Unlike simply notifying friends, most organisations seem to do this by initially de-activating the account, then sending an email with an authorisation code, and you have to go to the website, activate the code, and with luck everything is as before but with the new email address set up. MSE works like that, for example.

But Lloyds bank was the easiest of the lot. You just log in, go to personal details, click on the old email address, change it, and that's it. You don't even get an email to confirm the change.

So it appears that anyone who manages to hack into your records can change personal details without any verification process whatsoever.

Do we have a Lloyds representative who'd like to comment?

Comments

• coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If somebody hacked into your Lloyds account, you would have more to worry about than them changing your email address.
  • rr755507
    Options
    There is no security issue.

The email address is just used to send an alert of a new statement / message .

Unlike other websitse the email address isn't used to validate your identity, and isn't used as a primary identifier (they use userids completely unrelated).

If somebody has comprised your account, they have absolutely nothing to gain in changing your email.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I thought there must be more to it than was apparent.
    Are you saying that the other personal information on the same page would not be so easy to change? Address for example?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Thank you. I thought there must be more to it than was apparent.
    Are you saying that the other personal information on the same page would not be so easy to change? Address for example?

Correct - if you want to change your address, after clicking through in the personal details area, the two options presented to you will be to either download and print a form which you would need to fill in and sign and date and send to them for processing; or visit a branch with ID and they can change it for you.

Having said you can't change it online, I think actually I did change mine without realising I was doing so last year... because I submitted an address change on my Scottish Widows online account for my workplace pension (different website, different system, but part of the same banking group) and then when I went into the Lloyds branch a few days later to tell them my new details, they already had my new address in their system...

Unless I'm imagining it and I had already done it in branch and forgotten.... moving home was a busy time :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    moving home was a busy time :)

I'd almost forgotten that, it was so long ago.
    Moving email addresses is turning into a nightmare. Hardly any (apart from Lloyds :) ) is straightforward. I've now got dozens of de-activated accounts awaiting re-activation emails. They are trickling through, but many don't work or I have to contact administrators to sort out.
    eBay is the worst so far - two technical phone calls from America so far, and in the end they have had to change it manually. It's probably now working.

BT/Yahoo was free originally, and came with BT Internet. Then BT split from Yahoo, but was still free for a year, but now is going up in price. It's silly paying for something that normally is free, but I put it off as I guessed it would not be easy swapping everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure