Claiming French pension from the UK

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
4 replies 2.7K views
woolly_wombatwoolly_wombat Forumite
715 posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
I wondered if anyone has any experience of this?

My OH has been through the process via the Newcastle Pension Centre for a small French pension he accrued a few years back.

He has finally, after a very long time, received a calculation from l'Assurance Retraite, and also an Attestation d'existence form to complete.

The problem is that the calculation is substantially less than expected and doesn't appear to include the AGIRC supplementary pension from previous projections.

He decided to apply to take the pension at 65 years and 2 months (now many months ago), i.e. a year early with a reduction, because he was concerned about a hard Brexit.

A former French colleague of his seemed to think that the AGIRC element should have been added in automatically.

Can anyone with experience of the French system shed any light please?

Replies

• venisonvenison Forumite
    4.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a pensions forum higher up the front page where you might get more help on this;

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
    MSE bring back discussion Time, its removal is an outrage at best and an attempt at censoring at worst !
  • woolly_wombatwoolly_wombat Forumite
    715 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

I have already tried posting over there prior to finding this old thread:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5060735

Hence I thought there might be more folks over here with prior experience of claiming a French pension.
  • woolly_wombatwoolly_wombat Forumite
    715 posts
    ✭✭
    Only the basic French pension (retraites de base) can be claimed when you claim your UK pension (or when you claim your French pension separately via the International Pension Centre in Newcastle, as OH did).

The AGIRC-ARRCO supplementary pensions (retraites complementaires) have to be claimed separately I have now discovered elsewhere from a couple of people who have been through the process.

I thought I would reply to my own post here in case anyone else searches these boards in future!
  • grahamrosegrahamrose Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Concerning your comment:
    The AGIRC-ARRCO supplementary pensions (retraites complementaires) have to be claimed separately I have now discovered elsewhere from a couple of people who have been through the process.
    Would you be able to provide more details please?
    I am in a similar situation having worked in France for some years. I know how to deal with the state pension, but I cannot seem to find any usable guidance on the AGIRC-ARRCO supplementary pension. I would really appreciate some information from somebody that has been through the process. Many thanks in advance.