Forum Home » Credit File & Ratings

Opening a student bank account with a CIFAS marker

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Opening a student bank account with a CIFAS marker

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
5 replies 1.1K views
SlJedide01SlJedide01 Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
So I'm going to uni next year and intent to open a student bank but I remembered some dodgy stuff I did when I was in need of money.

I downloaded Starling Bank App when I was 17 and gave it to a guy to "load" the account. About two days later I got an email saying there had been fraudulent activity on of the payments and I had to prove the validity of these payments. Long story short the guy just disappeared and my account was closed. I did contact them saying it wasn't me and I personally haven't been able to use the app since I'm on a rooted phone but used someone else's phone to login which was android too and the guy was using an Iphone.

Now I'm about to open a bank account but I don't know if they would have given me a CIFAS marker or not and don't want to ope one and get declined. I still have my normal u18 bank account at Natwest but don't want to try to open an account and they realise what happened.

So I guess the main question is does starling give CIFAS markers and will I actually be able to get a student bank account?

Replies