IUC re undeclared assets (gold jewellery) - help with a question no-one knows the answer to

Options
13»

Comments

• Debz71
    Debz71 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    A further point that occurred to me that you might want to consider IF you decide to answer any future questions or IUCs is the what appears be a quite ridiculous claims of your sister / the authorities as to "about 26 kilograms of gold" ....

I have just checked the current scrap value of 26kg of gold :-
    IF it was ALL low-grade 9ct gold, the current value would be circa £302,000 ;
    IF it was ALL high-grade 22ct gold, the current value would be circa £740,000 ...

It obviously wouldn't have been the same many years ago, but it would still have been extremely substantial at whatever the relevant time was .... For example, I know that in the financial-crash gold rush period of circa 2010-2012, the value would have been not far off double the current price.

The point being is that due to gold-dealer record-keeping & money-laundering & know-your-client regulations, it would be almost impossible for the average person to easily or legimately dispose of or sell THAT MUCH gold without leaving one hell of an "Audit Trail" in whatever institutions or businesses did the buying, and they are all bound by law to pay by cheque or into a traceable account AND to supply records to the Authorities.

Even IF 26kg were to be sold for cash on the Black/Criminal Market, it would be out of the league of all but major players and would still leave the "purported seller" trying to "hide" hundreds of thousands of pounds in Cash.

In essence, in the absence of any such substantiating evidence, any reasonable person or authority or "the average man on the Clapham omnibus" would have to conclude the "26kg of gold" was nothing more than a (potentially malicious) fantasy allegation.

As per my OP, my advice still remains NOT to attend any such IUC, nor to be drawn in to trying to "justify" yourself or answer questions .... as the Authorities & Bodies you are dealing with are masters of deception & manipulation once they have a target in their sights.

I don't recall either set of investigators placing an estimated value denominated in pounds on the fictitious hoard. I presume one or both have scoured my bank records searching for credits from any gold buyers, Ramsdens and the like, only to draw a blank. I daresay it would be possible to sell such an amount in stages in return for cash to Delboy characters. Neither attempted to make a case that I have lived beyond my income subsidised by the anonymity of cash from undeclared gold sales. I guess it's why they persist with the notion that it's hidden somewhere.

Mum ran that business for circa 22 years, and she could have accumulated such an amount because to her gold - and to a lesser extent silver - equalled real money. She'd often remark she must have some Indian ancestry as many of their citizens preserve their wealth by placing their savings in precious metals.
  • Debz71
    Options
    Hooray! The matter is at an end. :T

Within 90 minutes this morning I had two phone calls, one from a police officer then later another from a DWP rep. In the first, one of the pair who had interviewed me explained that having reviewed the evidence it was decided not to proceed. In the other, a man informed me not to attend an IUC this Friday as both they and the local council were satisfied relevant claims I made years ago were bona fide. He concluded by saying to expect confirmation in writing within days.

The former, who was quite forthcoming, quipped that the land's best QC wouldn't have got a result prosecuting a case on their evidence, or lack of. All that needs to be done now is to collect the cash and discover how to make whoever signed the warrant accountable for choosing to do so.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my experience, fraud investigators know relatively little about the benefit system. They’re hired to do a specific job and it matters little how much they know about the actual benefit.

In my previous life as a go between for local office-fraud, I often wondered what they were playing at with investigations, they would attempt to prosecute people who moved from IB to ESA for failing to declare pensions but with a cursory check we found out it was declared decades before and they were told not to worry about it because of how IB treated pensions.

Then there was the urgent case that was being taken to court imminently because someone’s business continued to trade, we worked it from the benefit side, total overpayment of £0.00.

Just a few examples but I’m glad the case in this thread seems to have been sorted, eventually, even if it could have been done earlier.
  • Gold_Shogun
    Gold_Shogun Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2019 at 1:31AM
    Options
    sportsarb wrote: »
    *In my experience, fraud investigators know relatively little about the benefit system. They’re hired to do a specific job and it matters little how much they know about the actual benefit.*

In my previous life as a go between for local office-fraud, I often wondered what they were playing at with investigations, they would attempt to prosecute people who moved from IB to ESA for failing to declare pensions but with a cursory check we found out it was declared decades before and they were told not to worry about it because of how IB treated pensions.

Then there was the urgent case that was being taken to court imminently because someone’s business continued to trade, we worked it from the benefit side, total overpayment of £0.00.

Just a few examples .....

* VERY True * ... As my family & I know from bitter personal experience.

For a further couple of examples, in my Dad's case, the Senior DWP "Fraud Investigator" tried to convince the Police during an IUC that my Dad's Attendance Allowance was provided solely for the purpose of (and I quote verbatim) "buying fuel and paying for his car maintenance" and my Dad was illegally using it for other purposes (namely, to help pay his local Carers) ... AND also that UK State Pensions, Xmas Bonus, & Winter Fuel Payments are NEVER payable in Ireland or anywhere else outwith Great Britain (namely, England, Wales, & Scotland).

The DWP tried to steal circa £20,000 in alleged overpayments from my Dad ... But at the end of his HMCTS Appeals which took several years as the DWP tried their damndest to delay & stonewall the Appeals, the HMCTS Tribunal fully cancelled the alleged overpayments AND ordered the DWP to pay my Dad nearly £18,000 over and above that in "previously and wrongly suspended Arrears Due" to my Dad.

All of that was AFTER the DWP & Police falsely accused ME of either killing my Dad OR keeping secret my Dad's death by natural causes, AND me supposedly burying him in my garden .... Allegedly so I could "steal" his Pensions & Assets for myself.

I used to think I was paranoic, but now I realise I'm not paranoic enough when it comes to these corrupt B*******s. :(

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

- Benjamin Franklin
  • Gold_Shogun
    Options
    Debz71 wrote: »

Within 90 minutes this morning I had two phone calls, one from a police officer then later another from a DWP rep. In the first, one of the pair who had interviewed me explained that having reviewed the evidence it was decided not to proceed. In the other, a man informed me not to attend an IUC this Friday as both they and the local council were satisfied relevant claims I made years ago were bona fide. He concluded by saying to expect confirmation in writing within days.

The former, who was quite forthcoming, quipped that the land's best QC wouldn't have got a result prosecuting a case on their evidence, or lack of. All that needs to be done now is to collect the cash and discover how to make whoever signed the warrant accountable for choosing to do so.

Congratulations Debz .... I'm VERY pleased to hear of your successful result ! ... And thank you kindly for letting us know.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

- Benjamin Franklin
  • Debz71
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words.

This has been an overwhelmingly negative experience but because of it I'm far more informed on a whole range of subjects than previously. Before I would have struggled to accurately define what currency (AKA money) is and clueless about how the vast majority of it comes into existence. I understand now why unimportant, puerile junk such as The X-Factor is plastered over TV screens every year for months totalling scores of broadcast hours while fractional reserve banking and lending gets nil attention.

As regards the world of benefits, going forward other than what I'll keep in my current account to pay direct debits the true state of my finances will remain opaque to Big Brother and all its worker bees.
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    Debz71 wrote: »

At the end of the day your biggest problem hasn't gone away.

Your sister.

The whole train of events and everything you have gone through is down to your sister.

What will she do next? What allegations will she make? She wants you to sell up and give her cash. She isn't going to stop.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • Debz71
    Options
    She's out of bullets. I made a pledge many years ago to look out for her but exhausted my patience. Hedonism to her equates to consuming illegal substances at every opportunity. Because of her I've known dozens of other human derelicts who are identical. Without exception they said they thought they were too strong-willed to succumb to drug dependency. She's moved 10 miles away to Cardiff. I have little doubt her days are spent annoying shoppers for change to help pay towards bogus train and bus fares. If I happen upon her to receive a similar request then she'll get a Foxtrot Oscar reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure