If you could go back in time...

Options
123457»

Comments

• londoninvestor
    Options
    Knowing what I know now.... Put my savings on England to beat Germany during the 2001 world cup qualifier and treat myself to a nice holiday and then chill for a few years keeping eye out for something called bitcoin where I have to invest £100. Have my divorce and reassure myself that'll all will be ok and then sell the bitcoins December 2017. Reckon that'll do me just fine :)

If you're a football fan, then a bet on Leicester City in August 2015 would have done even better than bitcoin :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    If I were to go back in time I would have educated myself on investing earlier so starting in my twenties rather than my fifties. However money was so tight due to first mortgage, children etc that I am not sure we would have had the spare money to invest anyway. I also would not have ignored my pension while encouraging my husband to overpay his simply because he was the main earner. As it is we are still married but I do think now if we had split it would have left me very vulnerable as my pension is a quarter of the size of his due to me working part time for many years and never upping my contributions until my mid 40s. We still both managed to retire aged 58 though so we must have done some things right.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • webjaved
    Options
    If I could go back in time I would have been more concious about saving and investing my money. I wish I could roll back by 10 years. I'd never have believed that I'd become this concious about saving! I thought I was doing okay but clearly not! :P
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    I would tell my 20 year old self that the property market really does go down as well as up, and that I can do better than that on the dating market. Ah, hindsight.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • pioruns wrote: »
    If I could go back in time, I would definitely buy more Bitcoins.

Buy pre halving sell post halving rinse repeat.
  • jim8888
    jim8888 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd have started to "pay myself first" from my first pay cheque onwards, and then banked 10% of my take home pay into a savings account. I'd then have advised my twenty year old self to look at investing in the stock market. I'm not sure if passive investing into trackers was viable in 1983, but I could have at least shown more interest! In the Eighties, we did start to get to know about shares "(Tell Sid!") but I really didn't think I was the type of person who could participate in the stock market. Fortunately, when I turned thirty, I decided to try and take control of my spending and saving, inspired by a Motley Fool book that I bought on a whim before a long train journey. It's fair to stay that book changed my financial life, and I still feel in its debt to this day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure