Royal Mail Parcel Refuse/ Return to Sender

Options
I ordered an item from a web site (not Ebay). I decided I wanted to cancel the order and informed the company who said that it was already on its way with Royal Mail.

I was out when delivery was attempted and a card was left, so it is now waiting at the delivery office.

What is the best procedure for it to be returned?

If I do nothing it will eventually be returned to the sender after a couple of weeks.

If I go to the delivery office to say I wish to refuse it, would it then be immediately returned?

Or would I be better off picking it up and paying to send it back?

Comments

• martindow wrote: »
    Or would I be better off picking it up and paying to send it back?

The retailer is to refund within 14 days of receipt or proof of return being provided whichever is earliest.

Depending on the service you might not see the tracking update to being returned to sender and thus if it went missing there'd be no requirement for the retailer to refund you.

I don't think it applies to any Royal Mail services but just as general info some couriers charge a fee for a returned parcel and you may* be liable for that fee if the retailer has provided the required information and states the buyer must bear the cost of return.

*I say may as not 100% sure but consumer rights forum would know.

Depending on the value of the order, personally I'd collect and return it myself with proof of posting, it may well be fine, get returned and no hassle refund but equally might not.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would expect the item to be returned if you go in and refuse the item.
    no fee for the return to the company
    what service was it sent by?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I would expect the item to be returned if you go in and refuse the item.
    no fee for the return to the company
    what service was it sent by?
    Thanks custardy. It was sent by RM tracked.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Thanks custardy. It was sent by RM tracked.

So it will be scanned refused and tracked all the way back to sender.
    If you have the tracking number you can monitor it,if not then take a note before it goes back
  • techquest
    techquest Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    Yes refusal or not accepting is a valid way. RM then return the said item but I'm not sure what time period they allow before instigating return to sender process.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,998 Forumite
    Options
    RM hold for 18 days so going to the collection office and refusing would get it moving back sooner.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    RM hold for 18 days so going to the collection office and refusing would get it moving back sooner.

I tried that and it’s a bit hit and miss. I suspect it’s easier to leave it for the full 18 days and return everything rather than pull out stuff out of order. Also stops another person in the household coming into claim then complaining it’s been returned before 18 days.
  • martindow
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to go down to the office to refuse it and I'll come back here to let you know the outcome.
  • martindow
    Options
    An update on this in case it helps anyone else. I went to the RM centre to refuse the parcel last week. The tracking immediately updated to show this and now shows delivery to the sender this morning.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport