Best cars for older driver with Hip problems ?

Options
GQM
GQM Posts: 22 Forumite
edited 1 February 2019 at 11:50AM in Motoring
Well my mum who's 75 hip has gone and is awaiting a hip replacement operation but now needs to change her car a BMW M1 to a car with which is far easier to get and out of but she doesn't like cars that are gutless as she like them to have abit of poke etc and must be an automatic, budget including her car for trade in is around £8k.

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Impressive for a 70 year-driving an M1 I would have thought that would be worth more than £8K even if it's a non-running wreck.

Did you mean a 1-series with an M Badge? Still seems a low value. But it does seem to matter if it's not a dark colour.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think OP means £8k plus whatever the trade-in value is for the current car? (It's hard to tell ... I agree that £8k or less valuation for her current car seems low).

OP - she probably needs one of those "sit up and beg" type vehicles, where the seat is around thigh-hip height at the kerbside. This suggests a crossover-style vehicle. In the BMW range that maybe means an X1 or similar.
  • GQM
    edited 1 February 2019 at 1:34PM
    Options
    No the budget is around 8k thats including whatever her car is worth which id like to know as its a 2007 120D M SPORT AUTO 65000 miles 3dr.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it is purely practical to get in and out, you probably need to look for suv crossover.
    Whether your mum like it is another question to her.
  • GQM
    edited 8 February 2019 at 8:32PM
    Options
    So an UPDATE after visiting many a dealer with my mum over the past week to see which models she can physically get in and out of without searing pain we've learnt that mostly it down to seat type and car height so eg 2 models of mini the same one with stock seats and one with the next step up in trim etc makes a huger difference on ease of entry/exit etc
    So to cut a long story short as she rather loves her BMW i suggested that she could well save a small fortune and get to keep her card if she got someone to mod her car and replace the drivers seat with a stock seat from one of the many models she was able to manage over the past week and also have the suspension raised.
    So my question is as im based in Herts where would be a good place to go/ring to get such work done ?
  • laidbackgjr
    Options
    If your Mum genuinely has a BMW M1 - shouldn't need to save up for a new car - they are worth a small fortune. This is the only one for sale I can find with a price tag - the rest our price on enquiry - serious collectors cars.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/m1/2107597.html

I would not jeopardise the value of one of these by modifying the seats and suspension.
  • GQM
    edited 8 February 2019 at 11:14PM
    Options
    If your Mum genuinely has a BMW M1 - shouldn't need to save up for a new car - they are worth a small fortune. This is the only one for sale I can find with a price tag - the rest our price on enquiry - serious collectors cars.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/bmw/m1/2107597.html

I would not jeopardise the value of one of these by modifying the seats and suspension.

Err its a 2007 120D M SPORT AUTO 65000 miles 3dr which seems to be coming in at around between 3-4k.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try a wedge car seat cushion. Been through this with my mum in the end only the op will fix it.
  • claire07
    claire07 Posts: 660 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with this. I have had both hips replaced and while waiting for the op just built up the seat in my old Ka by using a high solid cushion and a plastic bag on top so I could swivel in without pain.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Japanese cars are often quite easy to get in and out of. Maybe a Honda or Mitsubishi? One of the slightly taller, hatchback ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure