Warning Valspar Paints

Options
I used a premixed grey silk emulsion over a previously painted silk pastel colour and it was hard work.

Paint was thin, no opacity had to 3 coat to get it to cover.

Inferior product and one to avoid.

Also a terrible odour when I opened the tin.

YUK

Comments

• FKingston
    Options
    I've never used Valspar Paints so will take this warning on board next time we decorate.

Personally I have always found Dulux One Coat excellent.
  • Gracie84
    Gracie84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I've used these paint before and did not have a problem. Have you taken it back to the store to complain?
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I just redecorated my spare room (now "reading room") using Valspar v700 matt emulsion paint mixed at B&Q. Normally I use Dulux but in this case the colour I liked was a Valspar mix to order one.

Wasn't smelly and good opacity - a bold colour onto whitewashed new plaster required only a single coat, really can't complain about that.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im going to sound like a valspar sales man and i was to an extent when i worked at B&Q but i dont any more.

I think the paint is amazing. We did displays and comparisons for customers and every time the valspar would make the dulux diamond range look like an own brand product.

Our dulux rep actually took a tin to be tested with Dulux, she said the results showed it was the better paint by Duluxs own metrics (compared against the standard range (which is quite a bit cheaper but not mixed/personalised).

They have had issues with a few of the bases in their products, i was under the impression it was a temporary issue and had been rectified though as it was only a year or two after they started selling in the UK again. MIght be worth looking in to that?
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Maybe I'm silly but did the OP give the paint a thorough stir, often when it settles the thin stuff floats to the top.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm an absolute amateur painter, and painted with Valspar a pale green over typical magnolia in 2 coats no bother at all. Could have probably left it at one but it was patchy, due to my amateruness more than anything.

is it as nice as the Farrow and Ball in my other rooms? No, but it also cost less than half as much, and for the little spare room I wasnt splashing out on fancier paint!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    They have had issues with a few of the bases in their products, i was under the impression it was a temporary issue and had been rectified though
    There were definite problems with odour a few years back, but these have been addressed and Valspar is now no more "smelly" than other paint.

I also haven't found it to give poor coverage, so I dispute the OP's generalised "warning" which seems to be based only on his isolated personal experience...
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive just noticed it was a pre-made tin.

They dont do many and from what i can remember particularly of a light grey, they did a promotion when i still worked there which was premixed paints that where a bit cheaper than them mixed (they normally only sell coloured paints that are mixed on demand). They had 4 colours which i think where all variants of light grey.

I dont know if the promotion was ongoing or a one off. If it was a one off, theres a good chance the paint has gone funky due to how long theyve had them. Theyre stored in a warehouse that will be lucky to have heating, paint spoils in cold temperatures, paints separate if left stood for a while. I remember buying some clearance paint that i knew had been in the building for at least 10 years. Opened it up to find a cream cheese consistency in the paint. Most problems can be resolved with a very good stir or just asking them to shake the tin in the machine.

Fun fact, the paint shakers provided by Valspar have a health and safety warning on them. One of them advises you that you should not use explosive materials in the shaker:cool:. Less fun fact, having a tin of paint explode in the shaker will ruin your day, and the customer stood near it(s) clothing.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We've used Valspar Premium mixer paint (mid sheen) for a couple of years now, ever since B&Q switched to their mixer range, ditching Dulux. Painted several rooms with it in & used the kitchen/bathroom type as well. Fantastic paint & would thoroughly recommend it.

We always use a roller 2 coats & get a great finish, easy to clean, stood up to a good scrub with Jif when we got biro on the wall. Doesn't smell any different to any other paint.

Only thing to note is you should not faff about with it, don't keep going over & over it, it starts to dry fairly quickly & does not like fussing. We do all the edges the get stuck straight in with the roller.

Were a bit concerned when they changed the 'recipe' a little bit recently, but we've since done another room & it is still just as good.

Stopped using Dulux completely when we did 2 big rooms (vinyl silk emulsion) it was very chalky, they gave me £200 & a £100 voucher (which I sold for £50). Never touched the Dulux brand since.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure