Reclaiming Council tax on a property I sold.

I believe I may have been on the incorrect council tax band on a house I sold and moved out of a year ago.
Can I challange the banding even though I don't stay there anymore?




  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    26.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The only thing you can do is contact the current occupiers and ask them if they would agree to ask the VOA (Eng & Wales) or Assessor (Scot) for a band review. As you sold the house more than 6 months ago and presuming the current occupiers are the people to whom you sold, then they cannot make a formal appeal but can ask for a band review.

    If the current occupiers agree, you will have to give them the reasons you believe the CT band is incorrect so that they can pass on this information to the VOA or Assessor.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools