New York hire car and back to NY

Options
I’m fancying going to New York for a few days then getting a car and going upstate for a few days then back to NY again. Does this sound doable? I’ve no idea where to start on the car hire, like what sort of things I’d need to check, any sites worth looking at?

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd personally get out of New York City by train or plane and then hire upstate.

Depends on if you're planning to head up to Niagara or the mountains.
  • ostaragirl
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    I'd personally get out of New York City by train or plane and then hire upstate.

Depends on if you're planning to head up to Niagara or the mountains.

I did wonder if it would be better getting out of the city first. I’d like to go to Niagra. I read somewhere that some car hires don’t let you cross into other states do you think that’s a problem?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You would probably be better off flying to Niagra. It's a short hop out of La Guardia
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a play around on google maps and check the driving times and distances.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Have a play around on google maps and check the driving times and distances.

It's about 400 miles
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I rented from Enterprise for a similar trip in 2015. Actually didn't hire until back from Niagara and in Connecticut.
    Probably chose Enterprise because they posted their 100% CWD prices online and you can book upfront knowing that cost. That's an abiding principle of mine. And I wouldn't use a UK CWD re-insurer for a trip in the Land of the Lawyer.

Was able to extend the hire partway through over the phone, dropped it off in NY airport after an 'interesting' trip threading through heavy traffic in the US version of Spaghetti Junction, not something I'd recommend.

Enterprise were generally easy to deal with, no drama.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd keep the driving for when you're out of the city. And for while in New York, maybe book yourself a BAG to show you round (need to give 3-4 weeks notice).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It depends how long you are staying over there but there is some really good stuff between NY & Niagara. Small New England towns, open air museums, mountains, covered bridges, forts, etc.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure