End to an IHT nightmare?

Options
I'd written here about appalling treatment of a family member over IHT and subsequent tax investigations.

The executor finally wrote to HMRC saying that their attitude was causing physical and mental health problems even to suicidal thoughts

After 18 months of insisting that a further £118,000 IHT was due and not long after the letter was sent, a cheque from HMRC for £300 over payment was received!

Apart from the unpleasant previous communications, we still wonder how HMRC could insist on glaring mistakes, for example that 40% of £200,000 was £160,000!?

Anyway in previous threads I promised to report back here

Vigman
Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make a formal complaint to HMRC and if necessary move on to your MP with a view to going to the Parliamentary Ombudsman, if you have the mental and emotional energy to do so.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    vigman wrote: »
    Apart from the unpleasant previous communications, we still wonder how HMRC could insist on glaring mistakes, for example that 40% of £200,000 was £160,000!?

In the 1960s the Forces of Progress set out to ruin the schools. Job done.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    vigman wrote: »
    I'd written here about appalling treatment of a family member over IHT and subsequent tax investigations.

The executor finally wrote to HMRC saying that their attitude was causing physical and mental health problems even to suicidal thoughts

After 18 months of insisting that a further £118,000 IHT was due and not long after the letter was sent, a cheque from HMRC for £300 over payment was received!

Anyway in previous threads I promised to report back here

Vigman
    Thanks for the follow up. I suggest you make a formal complaint via your MP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure