trouble with NHS

Options
ill try toi be brief but my story is as follows:

2 years ago i had major surgery on my ureters,involving reimplantation into my bladder.

post op a Dr i spoke too said this op would not help me as my ureters were too damaged.

i then spent a year and a half trying to see the consultant who performed the surgery.

his registrar ended up with me at the clinic as once again the consultant booked me in to the clinic when he was away.

i asked the registrar why this op would be performed and he gave me 3 reasons, all of which i did not have. he then took it upon himself to overbook the next clinic so i did see the consultant.

finally see consultant and asked him why he had done the op, all he kept going on about was repeated bladder infections ( i had 2 in 48 years,both times due to urology dept procedures!)

he then became rather shouty and said i was being ungrateful and should thank him as him and his team are the best urologists in the country.

he finally left it with if i needed a knee operation in 10 years time i would not get bladder infections passing to my kidneys if they catheterise me

there is also another op he wanted to do alongside the one i had,a bladder augmentation after him and his team of experts deemed it necessary but 5 minutes on google was enough for me to find papers saying this was not the case so they did drop this part of the op.

this meeting was in November and i have asked the manager and assistant manager and the complaints dept and the consultants pathway coordinator for a letter outlining the reasons for this op so i can decide to take matter further as clearly his 2 registrars find strange ,once again google scholar gives me a paper stating the op should not be done with no symptoms.

the problem i have is 3 months have passed and no letter has arrived and i cant get hold of any of the people that have said they will get letter to me.

where do i go from here? even the switchboard appears to have blocked my number (!!!!!!) as it just cuts off when operator answers.

is there anyone above the manager of urology that could get this letter done? my hope is if he writes it the reasons will not be as in the meeting and the op will have been needed/

thanks

Comments

• keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anon1971 wrote: »
    ill try toi be brief but my story is as follows:

2 years ago i had major surgery on my ureters,involving reimplantation into my bladder.

post op a Dr i spoke too said this op would not help me as my ureters were too damaged.

i then spent a year and a half trying to see the consultant who performed the surgery.

his registrar ended up with me at the clinic as once again the consultant booked me in to the clinic when he was away.

i asked the registrar why this op would be performed and he gave me 3 reasons, all of which i did not have. he then took it upon himself to overbook the next clinic so i did see the consultant.

finally see consultant and asked him why he had done the op, all he kept going on about was repeated bladder infections ( i had 2 in 48 years,both times due to urology dept procedures!)

he then became rather shouty and said i was being ungrateful and should thank him as him and his team are the best urologists in the country.

he finally left it with if i needed a knee operation in 10 years time i would not get bladder infections passing to my kidneys if they catheterise me

there is also another op he wanted to do alongside the one i had,a bladder augmentation after him and his team of experts deemed it necessary but 5 minutes on google was enough for me to find papers saying this was not the case so they did drop this part of the op.

this meeting was in November and i have asked the manager and assistant manager and the complaints dept and the consultants pathway coordinator for a letter outlining the reasons for this op so i can decide to take matter further as clearly his 2 registrars find strange ,once again google scholar gives me a paper stating the op should not be done with no symptoms.

the problem i have is 3 months have passed and no letter has arrived and i cant get hold of any of the people that have said they will get letter to me.

where do i go from here? even the switchboard appears to have blocked my number (!!!!!!) as it just cuts off when operator answers.

is there anyone above the manager of urology that could get this letter done? my hope is if he writes it the reasons will not be as in the meeting and the op will have been needed/

thanks

So why did you go and see a urologist if you did not have symptoms/ a problem?
    Why did you consent to the surgery if you did not have symptoms/ a problem?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't seem to have got very far on your own, so I suspect you will need legal help to get any redress. You should try to find a local solicitor with expertise in medical negligence claims that they can back up with evidence.

They should give you a free consultation where you can investigate how much your claim might be worth and what their fees might be. You could ask them about working on a "No Win, No Fee" basis, but you need to research the pros and cons of "No Win, No Fee" arrangements.

Make sure you are clear what you want to achieve.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    keithdc wrote: »
    So why did you go and see a urologist if you did not have symptoms/ a problem?
    Why did you consent to the surgery if you did not have symptoms/ a problem?

Exactly what I was wondering.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you had your pre-operative assessment and went through the reason for the procedure, the risks and the pros and cons, surely you asked all your questions then? The consent form that you sign indicates your understanding and acceptance of the procedure - if you didn't understand at that point then you should have asked.
    Leaving it 18 months to make a complaint also seems a tad late.

What precisely is your complaint because from your post it's quite hard to tell.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • anon1971
    Options
    my troubles are congenital megaureters with signs of blockage but no blockage is present so I was sent to London for second opinion.the reasons for the op were to improve drainage from my kidneys. only after I had the op
    did I get told with my megaureters drainage would not be improved by a registrar. this is when alarm bells started ringing.

my complaint at the moment is I want a copy of a letter outlining what the consultant said were his reasons for doing the op,as it now seems to have gone from improving drainage to improving reflux, kidney failure and kidney infections that I do not have.

I think I've been lied to and the consultant won't
    ever go back to the drainage as the reason for the op.
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "...improving reflux, kidney failure and kidney infections that I do not have" - but were at high risk of developing prior to the operation.

If you've gone through PALS with no joy then follow the escalation plan for which ever country you live in, presumably England. The way to do this will be on your Trust's website.
  • anon1971
    Options
    I don't see that I was at risk of those prior to op as I had no sign of reflux and my kidney numbers been stable for 10 years now and kidney consultant is pleased with the stability of kidney function
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    anon1971 wrote: »
    my troubles are congenital megaureters with signs of blockage but no blockage is present so I was sent to London for second opinion.the reasons for the op were to improve drainage from my kidneys. only after I had the op
    did I get told with my megaureters drainage would not be improved by a registrar. this is when alarm bells started ringing.

my complaint at the moment is I want a copy of a letter outlining what the consultant said were his reasons for doing the op,as it now seems to have gone from improving drainage to improving reflux, kidney failure and kidney infections that I do not have.

I think I've been lied to and the consultant won't
    ever go back to the drainage as the reason for the op.

If the Consultant wrote to you, then your GP will have been sent a copy of the letter, ask at the surgery.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Who did the consultant write the letter to?

or

Do you mean you want a letter from him to you stating his reasons?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure