We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cat with kidney problem

Options
Hi everyone, I've got a 12 year old British short hair cat. She has recently started drinking more water, and after a trip to the vets and bloods has been diagnosed with kidney problems. The vet says I've caught it early and that her bloods are only slightly abnormal. she won't need medication but should start on a special diet.

I've bought her a variety of renal food, wet and dry and she won't eat any of it. I've tried mixing the renal food with ordinary food, but she picks round it. I've tried giving her just renal food for a few days, but she won't eat it.......and I'm worried that she's going to get worse through not eating.

Has anyone got any advice please?

Thank you xx

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Are you using tap water?
  • Starbar1972
    Options
    In her drinking bowl? Yes I do, is that ok?
  • Catswhiska
    Options
    The only renal food ours will touch is Royal Canin Tuna pouches. Have you tried her on that??
  • Starbar1972
    Options
    Oh no I've not tried that, I've got Royal Canin chicken, will try the tuna one , thank you xxx
  • Catswhiska
    Options
    At least with Royal Canin you can return it if kitty does not like it 👍
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    In her drinking bowl? Yes I do, is that ok?

Some think you should filter the water.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any wet food is suitable for a cat with kidney problems. Dry food is a common cause of kidney problems in cats, so if your vet advised dry, they would be a vet I would never use again.
  • Starbar1972
    Options
    They didn't suggest dry food, but suggested I start her on a renal diet immediately. She's used to wet and dry food, so I've bought her wet and dry renal food, which unfortunately she won't eat.......
  • nicter
    nicter Posts: 300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have had cats over the years with renal problems We, like you ,have tried various kidney diets and all have been rejected by our cats We decided that quality was more important than quantity and they were allowed to eat what they liked

Our previous boy lasted 3 years from diagnosis so didn't seem to do him much harm !
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,647 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've recently changed my 13 yo cat from wet and dry to wet exclusively.

I wondered how she would take to it as she's always had wet am and dry pm.

I've certainly had no complaints!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport