Advice Please

Options
Hi Everyone
Myself and my brother have inherited our parents property which has an equity release mortgage on it.
We have decided to take out a BTL mortgage along with some of our own money to pay off the equity release.(very high interest rate)
The solicitor acting on our behalf has said that we might have to pay stamp duty on the value of the equity release?
I have spoken to the tax department and they have said that's not the case, after telling our solicitor they have said they would require it in writing from the tax.
Just wondering if anybody has had a similar issue.
The equity release amounts to around £108,000 .
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If by tax department you mean you have spoken to someone on a HMRC helpdesk, is is not unknow for the to get things wrong. You may be better off asking this on the housing board.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    Myself and my brother have inherited our parents property which has an equity release mortgage on it.
    We have decided to take out a BTL mortgage along with some of our own money to pay off the equity release.(very high interest rate)
    The solicitor acting on our behalf has said that we might have to pay stamp duty on the value of the equity release?
    I have spoken to the tax department and they have said that's not the case, after telling our solicitor they have said they would require it in writing from the tax.
    Just wondering if anybody has had a similar issue.
    The equity release amounts to around £108,000 .
    Thanks in advance.
    Write formally to HMR&C. Relying on forum advice alone is foolish.
  • Thanks for the replies, I have spoken to someone at the Stamp Taxes Helpline who informed me thst we would not be liable for any Stamp Duty.
    Yorkshireman with the ever growing number of people finding out that their parents have taken out Equity Release once passed away I thought there maybe people on the forum that have gone through the same process.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I have spoken to someone at the Stamp Taxes Helpline who informed me thst we would not be liable for any Stamp Duty.
    Yorkshireman with the ever growing number of people finding out that their parents have taken out Equity Release once passed away I thought there maybe people on the forum that have gone through the same process.
    That is all very well. However, a statement from a call centre operative or a forum is no basis to take a decision. That is why you should do as I suggested.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    I thought there maybe people on the forum that have gone through the same process.

I think the vast majority of us would never want to become accidental landlords and would sell up in these circumstances.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Someone who remortgages their property is not acquiring a chargeable interest. This is not an occasion where SDLT is due. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm00320

Where a property interest is acquired is on the passing of the interest from the personal representatives to the beneficiaries. The secured debt should not count as chargeable consideration: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm00570
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the vast majority of us would never want to become accidental landlords and would sell up in these circumstances.

I agree. Do you both really want to be landlords? Is this the ideal property to have as a BTL, as in, you'd have carefully chosen and bought this property precisely for that reason if it hadn't been inherited?

It it were me, i'd sell up, pay off the debt and split the equity.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    SDLT_Geek wrote: »
    Someone who remortgages their property is not acquiring a chargeable interest. This is not an occasion where SDLT is due. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm00320

Where a property interest is acquired is on the passing of the interest from the personal representatives to the beneficiaries. The secured debt should not count as chargeable consideration: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm00570

Makes sense, the equity company do not own part of the house they simply have a charge against it.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is all very well. However, a statement from a call centre operative or a forum is no basis to take a decision. That is why you should do as I suggested.

See post 7. Happily others are better informed and do know the answer - with the relevant referencer.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2019 at 8:44PM
    Options
    Dox wrote: »
    See post 7. Happily others are better informed and do know the answer - with the relevant referencer.
    My post was in response to post number 4 before post number 7. Do you really expect me to predict future posts? My comment is still very valid as a general rule. It seems all you do is make snide comments. Added to my ignore list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure