Get rid of Landline

Options
I hope this is in the right forum, could not see a better one....

I live in an area where Fibre is not available (centre of Birmingham would you believe - Openreach wont update our cabinet as its not feasible!). I have landline and broadband with Plusnet. The speeds are really slow and I pay for the landline just to have broadband.

As Three are doing a Unlimited Data SIM with Unlimited Minutes and Text, I was thinking of ditching the Landline altogether and getting a 4G router and the Three SIM and using that as my home broadband provider. I would get a lot better speeds, Plus its cheaper as I pay £17.99 for the Landline + £10 for the crappy broadband... The three SIM would cost £20 and the only extra would be the one off 4G Router.

It would be nice to somehow keep the landline number we have had for over 25 years.

Anybody gone this route? Ideas & Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Port the LL number to a VoIP provider. I have been using Sipgate for over 15 years and therefore recommend them, (using their PAYG service).
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can cope with 100Gb a month, this is a good deal as includes the 4G router...

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

I have found the router to be excellent.
  • tmohammad
    Options
    Was thinking... buy the router outright and use this £20 unlimited data SIM

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't understand what 3 are doing. I looked at that £20 unlimited deal earlier and noticed that the 100 gig sim was £25. Huh?

Also, do 3 allow phone sims to be used in routers? If so, why do people buy their data sims that give considerably less data per pound.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've recently purchased the Huawei router through Amazon (think it's the newer model) - they're currently selling it (new) for about £83.
    I think the 3 sims are unlimited (the phone ones anyway) could be wrong. The speeds should be purely down to network and hardware and not the sim surely.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also, do 3 allow phone sims to be used in routers?
    Ofcom’s Original Net Neutrality Statement

Since we opened our investigation in March 2018, Three has confirmed that it has already:

* withdrawn restrictions which slowed down speeds of Peer-to-Peer and Virtual Private Network traffic for customers when roaming within the EU; and

* withdrawn restrictions on the use of handset SIMs in dongles and mifis.
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/three-uk-quietly-removes-tethering-caps-from-4g-mobile-plans.html
  • tmohammad
    Options
    Cool.... looks like I may be able to ditch the useless landline ... just need to wait till contract expires with plusnet....:j
  • tmohammad
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Port the LL number to a VoIP provider. I have been using Sipgate for over 15 years and therefore recommend them, (using their PAYG service).

Do l need a special phone? l have DECT cordless phones.

Also if l port my numer can l port out later to another firm or back to BT... Dont want to lose the number as its known to many contacts.
  • splishsplash
    Options
    I use my mobile for home broadband via mobile hotspot on 3's unlimited deal. I cast to tv for anything I want to watch and no longer have a landline as I make and receive so few calls.

Tethering and wireless hotspots are fine within 3's fair deal usage which for me is 60GB pm.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tmohammad wrote: »
    Do l need a special phone?.
    With VOIP, you will need either a VOIP phone or an adaptor that you plug the existing phone base station into in place of the telephone wall socket.
    A good and reasonably priced DECT VOIP phone and base station is Gigaset C430HX Cordless DECT Handset & N300 IP PSTN & VoIP/SIP DECT Base Station
    for £73.40 https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/29990-gigaset-n300ipc430x-1/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure