PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New housing complaints service to help tenants and homeowners escalate their disputes - MSE News

A new single complaints service for renters and homeowners in England is to be launched, in a step forward for MoneySavingExpert's campaign for reform - but there's still more to be done...
Read the full story:
'New housing complaints service to help tenants and homeowners escalate their disputes'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Who pays for these schemes, does anyone know? When you make a complaint to the financial ombudsman, the institute complained about is charged (regardless of outcome).

Is this the same for these schemes? Will landlords be charged when complaints are made, or is it funded by charges when compensation is given, or someething else?
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It does not say when this service will be introduced !

More hot air & empty promises from clueless Tory government while Brexit chaos & downward spiral continues. rolleyes.gif
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tenants will be paying for the service for tenants. Although the charges will be levied on the landlords, as tenants pay a landlord's income, ultimately it is the tenant who will pay. Hope my tenants feel that this is good value when their rent goes up by £40 a month to cover this.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hope my tenants feel that this is good value when their rent goes up by £40 a month to cover this.

If you can raise the rent by £40 and still attract tenants, you should already be charging it. Why would you wait for your costs to go up before charging it?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    Tenants will be paying for the service for tenants. Although the charges will be levied on the landlords, as tenants pay a landlord's income, ultimately it is the tenant who will pay. Hope my tenants feel that this is good value when their rent goes up by £40 a month to cover this.

Licensing of landlords is long overdue.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Licensing of landlords is long overdue.

Maybe so but there is already significant duplication.

There are already mandatory, additional and selective licensing schemes.

There is already agents redress scheme.

There is already deposit protection.

This adds Landlord redress scheme.

All paid for indirectly by tenants.

Ts are spoiled for choice in people they can complain to so what does the new scheme add apart from further cost and bureaucracy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure