help!! SF rules regarding illness and completed years

Hi
Could anyone clarify what the rules are in the following scenario.

Enrolled on fulltime course
YEAR 1 -passed (marginaly due to v poor health)
YEAR 2 -withdrew

Later enrolled on different course
Year 1- passed
Year 2- withdrew

Both withdrawls were the result of serious health issues however I understand there is something called an ELQ rule. Would I lose only one year of funding due to the completed first years or will I lose 2 years of funding.

Thank you

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January 2019 at 5:05PM
    Hi
    Could anyone clarify what the rules are in the following scenario.

Enrolled on fulltime course
    YEAR 1 -passed (marginaly due to v poor health)
    YEAR 2 -withdrew

Later enrolled on different course
    Year 1- passed
    Year 2- withdrew

Both withdrawls were the result of serious health issues however I understand there is something called an ELQ rule. Would I lose only one year of funding due to the completed first years or will I lose 2 years of funding.

Thank you

ELQ doesn't apply as you haven't got an equivalent level qualification. What applies is the previous study rule which limits tuition fee loan eligibility to length of course + 1 - previous study years funding (applied backwards from the final year of the course).

If you attend 1 day of an academic year it counts as 1 year previous study.

However there is a rule called compelling personal circumstances where if you can show you withdrew due to health reasons they can discount that year of previous study.

Maintenance loan eligibility is only affected if you have a previous ELQ.
  • Hi Ed
    Thank you for your response.
    Would you be able to clarify what the rule is regarding years that were successfully completed if the student needed to withdraw for medical reasons during a later year. Ive received different responses regarding this.
    If the student successfully completed the first year but then was required to withdraw in second year due to being found medically unfit do they lose 1 year of funding regardless of CPR.

I was also told that any ears of CPR granted would work backwards i.e from 3rd year to 1st year as opposed to first to third.
    However I was then told that if you had to withdraw from the previous course for medical reasons CPR funding would be applied to the first year of the new course. something about this seems to appear in the regulations.
    However if that were the case would you still be minus 1 year of funding due to completing the first year of the previous course and withdrawing in the second.
    This is all very confusing...:huh:
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Ed
    Thank you for your response.
    Would you be able to clarify what the rule is regarding years that were successfully completed if the student needed to withdraw for medical reasons during a later year. Ive received different responses regarding this.
    If the student successfully completed the first year but then was required to withdraw in second year due to being found medically unfit do they lose 1 year of funding regardless of CPR.

I was also told that any ears of CPR granted would work backwards i.e from 3rd year to 1st year as opposed to first to third.
    However I was then told that if you had to withdraw from the previous course for medical reasons CPR funding would be applied to the first year of the new course. something about this seems to appear in the regulations.
    However if that were the case would you still be minus 1 year of funding due to completing the first year of the previous course and withdrawing in the second.
    This is all very confusing...:huh:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1986/regulation/19/made

Regulation 19(8) seems to be relevant here.
  • Unless Ive interpreted the rules incorrectly (entirely possible), Im under the impression that 3 rules exist regarding CPR:

1. If a student withdraws due to CPR then year 1 of the new course is disregarded as PS (previous study)

2. If you have to repeat a year for CPR then the repeat year is disregarded as PS

3. If you successfully complete a year you cannot be granted CPR for that year i.e complete year 1, withdraw year 2 you can only claim CPR for year 2.

Could someone please correct me if any of the above is incorrect?

What happens in a situation where the following occurred:

year 1 pass
    year 2 withdraw

year 1 pass
    withdraw without starting year 2

year 1 pass
    year 2 withdraw

Assuming that CPR is granted the maximum number of times that the regulations would allow, how many years of funding have been lost?

Obviously CPR is not guaranteed but assuming best case scenario...
  • russellmr
    russellmr Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    On the topic of Reduced maintenance loan for a year when suspending the course for medical reasons... The third payment has been reduced by £1200 over what it should be as she will have completed less than 40 weeks of the 44 weeks, so they deduct £1200!! It’s like not paying a hidden bonus as my daughter did not study the 40 week minimum. Anyone heard of this hidden full study part of a maintenance loan? Are SFE making their own rules up here? Anyone got the full 9999 page payment rules ?? Thanks Mick
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback