Student Accomodation - acting as guarantor

I am considering acting as guarantor for my daughter's rent for the house she will share at university. It seems to be standard practice for agents to offer only a joint and severally liable contract - where by my daughter, and so me as guarantor, would have to pay out if any of her housemates default?

It seems you can protect yourself against this risk using a company called Only My Share. But what they offer is not insurance, but seems to be debt recovery on your behalf, all for a cost of £99 pa to cover £10,000 risk.

Does anyone have experience of this company? Are there other more tradition insurance routes that can be followed ?


  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Sounds pointless. Nothing you could not do yourself via MCOL. And let's face it the majority of students that do not pay rent, do so because they cannot and well blood/stone.

    Better advice is share with people you trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin and MSE campaign win

April's 20% energy price guarantee hike postponed

MSE News

Childcare budget boost

More support for children from nine months and those on Universal Credit

MSE News

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools