How can my £100k pay me £10k a year?

Options
I have £100k from the sale of my parents home.I have no income,as I'm too unwell to work and have too much capital to be eligible for any benefits.
How do I provide an income that I can actually live on?-would £100k In a pension pot give me a good income now? -or would I need to look at an 8ncestment trust?-I don't want to risk losing it-but at the same time I need it to generate me an income to live on.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,410 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 January 2019 at 7:11PM
    Options
    An income of £10k a year for how long? £100k can easily provide an income of £10k per year for 10 years, perhaps 11 or 12 years without taking any risk. It is not feasible for it to last a whole lot longer than that if you want to guarantee it won't run out in less than 10 years.

You mention putting it in a pension to generate an income now. Are you already over 55 years old?
  • Sexyscorp66
    Options
    Let's say for 15 years
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    £100k will give you an income of £10k but only for about 10 years. (Probably more assuming you get some interest).

There is no "safe" savings account that will get you anywhere near 10% annual interest. The best currently available are about 1.5-2 % if you want to take the interest out each month, ie about £2k per year from £100k, and this will not keep pace with inflation.

Longer term you would need to take some risk and go for S&S which "may" give you an overall return of 3 or 4 %...or then again they may not.

There are some "annuity" websites that will give you an indication of a likely return, but I would only assume a couple of grand per year for an investment of £100k depending on whether you opted for inflation increases or dependents allowances once deceased.
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have £100k from the sale of my parents home.I have no income,as I'm too unwell to work and have too much capital to be eligible for any benefits.
    How do I provide an income that I can actually live on? I need it to generate me an income to live on.

It can't be done: you'd have to consume part or all of the capital.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,410 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let's say for 15 years
    If you are able to put it in a pension with tax relief (relying on carry forward of previous years pensions allowance), and you are 55 or older to be able to enter drawdown, then at a push it could last that long. But you'd need to invest in low-medium risk funds and there would be a risk of not meeting that objective. But, this would change your eligibility for benefits, which could make all the difference.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    I'm too unwell to work and have too much capital to be eligible for any benefits.

PIP isn't 'means tested' - might be worth taking a look:)

https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
  • Sexyscorp66
    Options
    Yes I do claim it,but it's only £212 a month.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could you buy a letting property?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Become a loan shark at 100%/week interest.
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I do claim it,but it's only £212 a month.

Are you sure that's correct? The lowest PIP amount is £57.30 a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure