Looking for some advice on redundancy

Hi all I was hoping I can get some advice, as I'm a little concerned that the company I'm working for is doing something that they are not allowed to in relation to redundancy selection.

I work in a team of 9 with a team lead and a manager all based and working in the UK (total of 11 UK staff).

Just before Christmas we were all told that we were at risk of redundancy as part of a cost saving exercise.

We were told that those in Europe would not be included and neither would those in the US, even though a member of the US team is in special measures with HR.

Originally our manager was on his own in a redundancy group and he was at risk, so the assumption was he was going as he was a group of one in that position.

Our team lead however was left in the UK group of 9, so that made a total of 10 based and working in the UK and we were told 3 would be made redundant.

This was then reduced to 2, as one of the team left.

Our employer who is a US company then decided to place our team lead and manager in the same group for redundancy selection.

So again the assumption was that whoever was allowed to keep their position out of our team lead and manager would then be responsible for the remaining 6 UK staff (total left after redundancies had been made).

However this is not the case, it appears that if our manager stays on our team lead will then be placed in our selection group making it a total of 9 again.

Our team lead will then be scored like the rest of us and the 3 team members who score the lowest will be made redundant.

With this in mind I would like to know if our employer is allowed to do this, as my understanding is that they are not as they are making someone else redundant to keep on someone else who has already been through the redundancy selection process and had been selected for redundancy.

I have a horrible feeling that this is an underhand manoeuvre that they will be able to get away with, but just needed some advice as I will not be able to speak with ACAS until Monday at the earliest and this in playing on my mind.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why post it twice, you should have asked if it could get moved.
  • If I'm honest didn't think about doing that, then got side tracked after I couldn't delete the other one and when you are possible about to lose your job having a post in two places isn't really a priority. So sorry about that, but hopefully you can see why I may have other things on my mind that could have caused the issue.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is not an area that I'm an expert it, but if the team leader is selected for redundancy as a part of a group of two people, he can be offered an alternative role anywhere in the company. I don't think there is a restriction on offering him a role in a different group that is already at risk. In fact, this link suggests that the company is obliged to consider this approach. Have a read on the section on 'bumping': https://www.landaulaw.co.uk/redundancy/

Is the company running a consultation? If so, you could make your representations as to why you feel the company's approach is unfair to the consultation. Personally, I don't feel the approach is unfair. This might seem harsh on the people in the larger group, but ultimately the company is going to let two of you go. It's just a matter of which two.

At the end of the day, if any member of the team is make redundant and they feel that this was done unfairly, they could take this to an employment tribunal.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Looking back on my own experience of redundancy I wish I had taken advice.
    The process was not done very professionally (letters not turning up for one).
    I would advise talking to the Citizens Advice Service or ACAS. Possibly getting someone to go along to the consultations with you. make sure you take notes and write down what you wish to say.
    Back on the trains again!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport