Carers Allowance overpayment

Hi,

I received a letter this morning from the DWP demanding that I pay back almost £5000 in overpaid carers allowance from April 2016 to October 2017.

The person I cared for has now passed away and when I initially applied for the benefit I was working 15 hours a week in a job that paid minimum wage (I started that job in February 2016) therefore eligible for the allowance.

DWP are now claiming I owe back every penny I received from April 11, 2016 to October 22, 2017.

Is there anything I can do as at no stage of my claim did I think I was ineligible or fraudulently claiming.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    when I initially applied for the benefit I was working 15 hours a week in a job that paid minimum wage (I started that job in February 2016) therefore eligible for the allowance.
    Did you continue to work 15 hours @ minimum wage the whole time you claimed CA? Or did your hours/pay increase at any point?
  • Yes 15 hours per week at minimum wage for the entirety of my claim. Whether or not minimum wage increased in that time, I’m unsure
  • NMW usually increases in April each year.
  • Is there anyway I could avoid paying this? I’m still earning minimum wage and a £5000 repayment just isn’t realistic.
  • poppy12345
    edited 18 January 2019 at 12:50AM
    Were you a full time student at the time you were claiming the CA? Or studying for more than 21 hours per week?
  • No, I worked 15 hours per week in a part-time job on minimum wage
  • poppy12345
    No, I worked 15 hours per week in a part-time job on minimum wage
    This is the eligibility criteria for CA. Taken from this link.

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

• you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you’re not subject to immigration control
    You might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country or Switzerland.

If all those applied to you at the time then you'll need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, in writing. Stating the reason why you disagree and send in evidence to prove you were only working 15 hours per week. I'd also speak to your local CAB or other advice centre near you for help and advice. You have 1 month to request the MR.
  • Iheart
    Iheart Posts: 176 Forumite
    Are you working for the same company but increased your hours when that person passed away?

I ask because this happened to me. I claimed Carers Allowance for my son for a long time, then went back to work 13 hours a week for company X so still claimed Carers Allowance. My son had been out of school for about 3 years but once we found the right placement and he settled into FT school I upped my hours at work to 30, but still at company X and stopped my claim. About 3 months later I got a letter from the CA unit saying that I had been overpaid as they had been informed I was working for company X for 18 months. I did not attend the interview but wrote and clearly explained that I had increased my hours and cancelled my claim. I never heard anything again.
    SPC12 #106
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Get a copy of your earnings. You are allowed to earn x-amount whilst being a carer. I believe between April 2016-17 its was £110 a week. You might find you get good support from carersuk forums.
  • I have been claiming carers for my husband and had put up my hours at work from 16 to 24 they have written to me saying that since April 2017 they want my payslips and have stopped my money. I honestly did not know I had done anything wrong I am now down £240 a month and worried how I can carry on. My husband has just been diagnosed with another cancer and has dementia. What will happen I can not afford to live now as he has run up some credit card bills that I was only just managing. Cant get to citizens advice as they only open limited hours while I am at work. I am looking at having to repay a large amount. or prison do you think
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure