Debt Relief Order, 02 and Virgin.

Options
Hi all,

I am submitting my paperwork for my DRO in the next week or so but have just realised that my 02 contract, sim only £15 pm is due to end in May.

My Virgin Contract for internet and TV £56 pm is due to end in August.

Neither of these companies will form part of my DRO. Should i switch providers now or wait till the end of of my contracts? I am just worried that i wont be able to get phone and internet if i wait.

Thanks.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Switch away from VM now and you will owe £56 x months left.
    Likewise O2 contract .
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I am submitting my paperwork for my DRO in the next week or so but have just realised that my 02 contract, sim only £15 pm is due to end in May.

My Virgin Contract for internet and TV £56 pm is due to end in August.

Neither of these companies will form part of my DRO. Should i switch providers now or wait till the end of of my contracts? I am just worried that i wont be able to get phone and internet if i wait.

Thanks.

You most likely won't be able to get phone and internet contracts anyway because you'll be insolvent. Personally I would cancel the contracts and then add the resulting debts to the DRO. Or at least I would declare the contracts to my DRO "Competent Authority" who is handling the DRO application.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You'll still need your phone and by the sound of it you want to retain the TV? If so I'd consider phoning both companies and explaining the situation, they'll be eager to retain you as a customer I'd have thought and will hopefully offer you a decent extended contract.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    they'll be eager to retain you as a customer
    No, they won't be as keen as you seem to think.
  • smallandcute
    Options
    I will certainly need my phone and internet. I am wondering if i could switch now as contracts tend to be 12 months for sim only phones and 18 months for internet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I will certainly need my phone and internet. I am wondering if i could switch now as contracts tend to be 12 months for sim only phones and 18 months for internet.
    You can only cancel if you've reached the end of the minimum term, otherwise an Early Termination of Contract (ETC) will apply. I doubt your DRO provider would be content to allow you to voluntarily add more (unnecessary) debt. Contact them for advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

BB is generally 12 months, not 18.
  • smallandcute
    Options
    Sorted my internet with Virgin, after doing some further resesrch all will be good with them i am sure. If not i will go to plusnet or talktalk.

Phone wise 02 will cancel my contract with them when i submit my DRO so looking into the Vodafone PAYG big bundles.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Phone wise 02 will cancel my contract with them when i submit my DRO so looking into the Vodafone PAYG big bundles.

You're aware that you will lose your phone number?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're aware that you will lose your phone number?
    The Op really doesn't have any option..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport