Options
13»

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Guinea pigs are notoriously difficult to "sex" when they're pups, but this doesn't give the pet shop any waiver of liability.

This is a myth, they’re actually very easy to sex, male have a ridge in the genital area that can be felt from day one. The issue isn’t the sexing itself, but people fail to do it before they can breed at three weeks old.

My Gran used to breed teddy coated pigs, cute little things.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect staff in the major chains get more training in sales than in the animals they sell.
  • malcassy
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Sorry, you obviously did not do your research - you relied on information given to you by a salesman. A simple Google search would have given you better guidance before you even went to a pet shop.

We did do our research before we bought the second guinea pig. We knew we needed a male companion and went to the pet shop asking for a male.

we asked them to check, double check triple check that it was male. The assistant told us it was a male and also told us all the guinea pigs they had were male.
    I even have a till receipt that says male guinea pig.

The point is the guinea pig was female, it was also pregnant and it also had ringworm which was passed onto our first guinea pig.
    All i want is for them to pay towards the costs of all the vets bills we incurred due to their error.

Ive not asked for anything towards all the other costs we had, Time off work, Buying seperate cages, Fuel from all the driving backwards and forwards. The whole thing was a complete nightmare.
    I know some of you will think it was a waste of money but it wasnt the guinea pigs fault the pet shop staff and their breeders screwed up. We thought the pet shop would help with the costs, as they did ask us to forward all the receipts.
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I suspect staff in the major chains get more training in sales than in the animals they sell.

I doubt it, pets at home still advise people to buy too small cages and allow people to buy boars in groups larger than two, they don’t even look after them properly, housed on wood shavings and fed inadequate amounts of hay.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I doubt it, pets at home still advise people to buy too small cages and allow people to buy boars in groups larger than two, they don’t even look after them properly, housed on wood shavings and fed inadequate amounts of hay.

I suspect you actually agree with @pmduk :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    malcassy wrote: »
    We did do our research before we bought the second guinea pig. We knew we needed a male companion and went to the pet shop asking for a male.

This does slightly confuse me, if you did your research then why weren't you aware they were both males? Did you check in the shop yourself? I know nothing about guinea pigs by the way so it's not a sly dig at yourself.

If it's impossible to sex them at that age then I'm not sure you can really blame the shop although perhaps they should be aware of that fact (if true).
  • malcassy
    Options
    It is possible to sex them and the sales assistant told us it was deffinetly a male. We went to the pet shop looking for the advice of someone we thought would know what they were talking about. Apart from anything else it doesnt make any sense to keep males and females in the same cage in the pet shop or they would be mating and everyone would be getting pregnant females.
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect you actually agree with @pmduk :)

Sorry, misread!
  • GwylimT
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    malcassy wrote: »
    It is possible to sex them and the sales assistant told us it was deffinetly a male. We went to the pet shop looking for the advice of someone we thought would know what they were talking about. Apart from anything else it doesnt make any sense to keep males and females in the same cage in the pet shop or they would be mating and everyone would be getting pregnant females.

That is generally what happens, which is why many people avoid petshops (and their associated breeding farms).

Theguineapigforum is very good for advice and support.
  • malcassy
    Options
    yes i am a member on their and had quite a bit of advice from that forum whilst all this was going on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure