PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

[Brexit] Post offer renegotiate

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    UK house prices fall at fastest rate in six years on back of Brexit – Rics

Sales expectations for the next three months were the lowest since the survey began in 1999, with a balance of -28% – the difference between the number of respondents anticipating increases and the number expecting decreases.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/jan/17/uk-house-prices-fall-at-fastest-rate-in-six-years-on-back-of-brexit-rics
    It would be very easy to extract the wrong impression from your selected quote there.

So - for clarity...

28% is not the expected price fall. There are 28% more forecasters predicting falls than increases.
    The predicted fall is up to 5% on Leave With No Deal, or a predicted rise of up to 2% with a deal.
    The annual change for the year to November was 2.8% increase across the entire country.
    The West Midlands increased by 4.6% over the year, London fell by 0.7% and was the only region with a decrease.

Rents in London are predicted to rise 4% over the next year, and 3% outside the capital. The number of London properties available to rent fell 22% over the last year.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It would be very easy to extract the wrong impression from your selected quote there.

So - for clarity...

28% is not the expected price fall. There are 28% more forecasters predicting falls than increases.
    The predicted fall is up to 5% on Leave With No Deal, or a predicted rise of up to 2% with a deal.
    The annual change for the year to November was 2.8% increase across the entire country.
    The West Midlands increased by 4.6% over the year, London fell by 0.7% and was the only region with a decrease.

Rents in London are predicted to rise 4% over the next year, and 3% outside the capital. The number of London properties available to rent fell 22% over the last year.

And "forget the whole thing what were we thinking?" is also on the table as well which would likely be a bigger rise than the 2% "leave with deal" option.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    And "forget the whole thing what were we thinking?" is also on the table as well which would likely be a bigger rise than the 2% "leave with deal" option.
    <crosses fingers very hard>
    I deliberately didn't mention that, since the article puts no figure to it.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    movilogo wrote: »
    The 12-month outlook for prices remains broadly flat.
    Estate agents have an average of 42 properties on their books per branch, close to record lows.
    Average asking rents in London hit an all-time high of £2,034 ... rents will rise 4% in London this year and by 3% outside the capital
    That left the annual growth rate at 2.8% in November, slightly up on the 2.7% recorded in October
    And all of this after two and a half years of Brexit uncertainty.

It does make you wonder how bad things would have to get to cause house prices to drop significantly; so much so that it's highly likely that falling house prices would be the least of your worries in such a scenario.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    <crosses fingers very hard>
    I deliberately didn't mention that, since the article puts no figure to it.

Crashy's going to have apoplexy if that does occur and prices rise 5-10% !
  • AdrianC
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Crashy's going to have apoplexy
    Situation normal.

...if that does occur and prices rise 5-10% !
    Again, situation normal. He's been forecasting the sky falling on everybody's head for long enough while the market's risen, so...
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to add I do know people who procastinated on a pension and 20 year later hadn't done it.

I'm doing fairly well with a nice house owned outright and a decent pension pot.

No gifts, no high salary, merely putting money into house and pension for nearly 30 years and HAVING something significant to SHOW FOR IT after a few decades.

The difference is highly significant and there was nothing unusual in my circs, meremly took action to save/repay each month. Mortgage repayment go directly into bricks and mortar.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    8043174-6546825-A_total_of_11_areas_have_seen_transactions_fall_by_more_than_5_p-a-15_1546426080904.jpg
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Just to add I do know people who procastinated on a pension and 20 year later hadn't done it.

I'm doing fairly well with a nice house owned outright and a decent pension pot.

No gifts, no high salary, merely putting money into house and pension for nearly 30 years and HAVING something significant to SHOW FOR IT after a few decades.

The difference is highly significant and there was nothing unusual in my circs, meremly took action to save/repay each month. Mortgage repayment go directly into bricks and mortar.

To be fair the opposite can also happen. I bought young but when I went through an awful divorce the house was one of the most stressful issues. Life happens and lots is down to luck. Wish wish wish I'd never bought my 'forever' home as it wasn't. Very happy now by the way :beer:
  • AdrianC
    Options
    8043174-6546825-A_total_of_11_areas_have_seen_transactions_fall_by_more_than_5_p-a-15_1546426080904.jpg
    Transaction levels. Not prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport