🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

any council tax reductions for disabled tenants?

Sorry if this has been asked before or if this isn't the right place to ask, don't know my way around the forum very well.
Our daughter is just moving into her own disabled council flat and is sorting out her bills. A friend said, 'I'm sure you can get a reduction on council tax for being disabled, but they don't tell you about it, it's hard to find out about'
Any one know if there's any truth in this please, or just some kind of urban rumour
2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140


  • gbhxu
    gbhxu Posts: 346 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 16 January 2019 at 10:38PM
    Probably depends on your council.

    She'll at least get 25% discount for single occupancy.

    You're best off looking at the website of your district council to see what they say.

    This is a link to my district council.

  • kingfisherblue
    If you use a wheelchair indoors, or have an extra kitchen or bathroom due to your disability, your council tax is reduced by one band. There is a reduction if it is band A, but I'm not sure how it os worked out.

    If you are severely mentally impaired - usually severe learning disability or dementia - you can be excluded from paying council tax completely.

    You can also apply for council tax reduction based on low income.
  • CIS
    CIS Posts: 12,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The disabled band reduction certainly isn't hidden - it's well advertised.

    For a Band A property (6/9th of the council tax of a Band D property) the reduction will be given so that it becomes 5/9ths instead.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ah thank you, now I know what I'm looking for I have found a download for an application form.
    Thanks you muchly.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards