British Gas Smart Meter problems

Options
Had (Gas and Electric) Smart Meters fitted by BG approx 4 years, no problems at all, until early last week when the external gas meter stopped transmitting to the in home display unit.

Spoke to the smart meter team, who confirmed that it was still transmitting meter readings so they booked an engineer visit to sort the problem out.

Engineer turned up yesterday, spent about 45 mins here, working outside, then replaced the in-home display, said all data would download in approx 45 mins .. then disappeared.

Now, 24hrs later - I'm still seeing no gas usage on the in-home display. Tweeted good old BG who responded by saying they are aware of problems with gas usage not being displayed, and once resolved they'll send an update to the meter to correct ..

Really ? Does this sound plausible, or just an excuse by BG ?

Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January 2019 at 9:23PM
    Options
    I am very surprised BG spent time and money coming out just to restore the gadget which came free in a packet of cornflakes along with the meter.. Try buying one of those gadgets that clamp around the live cable, they do a similar job ..Smart meters are introduced primarily for the benefit of the supplier.Keeping the IHD display working correctly is nt part of the deal..
    You can see the gas usage in kwh s on the meter itself. Multiply the units used by 11.2 and you have kwh consumption.
    I believe there is a way to "reboot " the IHD from previous questions on here about non working IHD s. I can t see why the UKs largest supplier would come out with excuses
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    It would't be surprised if it was a battery problem with the gas meter unless this was replaced,intermittent communication problems can occur but not that often,it could also possibly a a meter distance issue or a software update.check the bar signal on the in home display,this is two way communication as in prepayment mode the vend code can be sent to the meters,check the batteries in the display if fitted.

The inhome display is more useful in prepayment mode,the other use is identifing a possible faulty appliance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure