MSE News: Ovo Energy to take on Economy Energy's 235,000 customers

12346»

Comments

• falcieri
    falcieri Posts: 195
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    EE took a full months up front payment, they also did not let you change the DD amount. You'd only get a refund (whether you'd get it or not is another matter) if you had 3 months worth of credit in your account.

It seems to be the case that many of them take double monthly DD when you first join, I assume to simply get your account into healthy credit. EE were very bad at refunding, or sending statements or even adding your personal metre reads to the site. Everything was wrong with them.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,787
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    falcieri wrote: »
    It seems to be the case that many of them take double monthly DD when you first join, I assume to simply get your account into healthy credit.
    It's not to give you a healthy credit it's to give the energy supplier an interest free loan. The cash flow situation of all these tinpot energy companies is so precarious they need to grab as much of your money as they can. In the good old days before this ridiculous "competition" you were billed after you had used the energy & it was only customers with very poor credit history who were forced to pre-pay. Now it's the norm.
  • wrinx
    wrinx Posts: 30
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Is this another spin on the exaggerated usage scam?

Just received our bill from Economy energy and they claimed the last three payments (Jan-March) failed yet the money left our account! As a consequence, OVO are saying we have a large debit with them...I'll be on the phone tomorrow :mad:

wrinx
  • falcieri
    Forumite
    If the reports on here about about fake consumption on EE accounts are anything to go by, I suspect Ovo has no idea of what it might have taken on. I think it might be wise to expect some serious delays in getting accounts sorted and serious lapses in customer service.

I don't think this is going to be pretty. :eek:

I kept and screenshotted everything from EE. I've had my final bill today. I was convinced they were going to owe me money but due to very very haphazard metre reading logging on their part and only occasional statements on the state of my account, it seems like I owe them lots of money but it seems astronomical (nearly £400 in 3 months) so I've emailed everything to OVO and asked them to take a look because my account is a mess. It's suggesting I used more electric between September and November than the entire 6 months I've been with my new supplier and they used metre readings I've never seen before. I just don't know where to start and I truly feel sorry for the mess OVO has to now sort out.
  • falcieri
    Forumite
    wrinx wrote: »
    Is this another spin on the exaggerated usage scam?

Just received our bill from Economy energy and they claimed the last three payments (Jan-March) failed yet the money left our account! As a consequence, OVO are saying we have a large debit with them...I'll be on the phone tomorrow :mad:

wrinx

I also have 'failed payments' on my 6 months delayed final bill from them for payments which they definitely took.
  • falcieri
    Forumite
    nigelbb wrote: »
    It's not to give you a healthy credit it's to give the energy supplier an interest free loan. The cash flow situation of all these tinpot energy companies is so precarious they need to grab as much of your money as they can. In the good old days before this ridiculous "competition" you were billed after you had used the energy & it was only customers with very poor credit history who were forced to pre-pay. Now it's the norm.

Very possibly, although I much prefer it this way to save getting expensive bills through the winter. The idea in principal is good if the company you're with is competent. The supplier I am with at the moment lets me alter my DDs as often as I like so I don't end up with too much credit but can afford to pay through the winter. One less thing to worry about.
  • My friend was moved to Ovo from EE and his bills have nearly tripled. One bed house he was paying around £1000 a year as electricity only. Ovo predict £2400 a year and want £145 a month. Can't understand what's going on, its a tiny house with 2 people. So he has switched off all storage heaters from the wall sockets and the bill was not much lower. What could be causing this? Who is a better supplier to go with? OVO have always been one of the most expensive options, even when I tried them once, my bills almost double. Need to swap ASAP. Who to go with, help please?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 June 2019 at 11:05AM
    Honesypays wrote: »
    My friend was moved to Ovo from EE and his bills have nearly tripled. One bed house he was paying around £1000 a year as electricity only. Ovo predict £2400 a year and want £145 a month. Can't understand what's going on, its a tiny house with 2 people. So he has switched off all storage heaters from the wall sockets and the bill was not much lower. What could be causing this? Who is a better supplier to go with? OVO have always been one of the most expensive options, even when I tried them once, my bills almost double. Need to swap ASAP. Who to go with, help please?
    1. Find your estimated annual consumption in kWh (from previous bills/statements over around a year).
    2. Go to an energy comparison site (e.g.MSE's <Cheap Energy Club>) and enter those consumption values along with meter type etc.
    You'll get a list of suppliers to choose from. Make sure you select a comparison of the whole market.

Edit
    A possible reason for the hike in costs is that there have been reports that Economy Energy inflated customers' usage on their statements, coupled with the transfer to Ovo's most expensive tariff.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure