Not fully depressing nozzle trigger when fuelling at petrol station

Options

Comments

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I used to own a Mitsubishi Galant that would only allow you to fill very slowly, usually only if you held the gun at some strange angle. I didn't notice getting any more fuel that I should, I just noticed spending an awful lot of time at petrol stations.

While I was still at school I had a part time job on the pumps.
    It was 1970-71. Can't remember which were and which weren't now, but some cars were very tricky to fill at more than a dribble, requiring the nozzle to be at the "right" angle. Others you could just dump the fuel in.
  • Jackmydad
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    But if you do that you need to make sure you have those clip-on magnetic fuel conditioners on your fuel lines. Otherwise it'll keep trying to flow north - south regardless of which way the car's pointing and takes more effort to pump from the tank when you're heading sideways.
    There's always somebody who comes up with a problem! :D
    Personally I did away with the fuel conditioner, instead I dance around the car naked before every journey, three complete circles, deosil, chanting "More mpg for me" as I go.
    I find that just as effective, although the neighbours have complained several times. . .
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Add fuel when the temperature is low and you should be able to squeeze in extra volume.
    That combined with the magnetic field effect and you are quids in.:p

That sounds like a good idea, things contract when colder and expand when warmer; so filling up on a cold morning should mean more fuel per ££
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    ...instead I dance around the car naked before every journey...
    sevenhills wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea, things contract when colder and expand when warmer...
    Altogether TMI
  • Jackmydad
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Altogether TMI
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea, things contract when colder and expand when warmer; so filling up on a cold morning should mean more fuel per ££

Some fuel pumps have temperature compensation and "correct" the volume to what it would be at 15 degrees C, some don't. You need a fuel pump that doesn't have "litres at 15 degrees C" on the faceplate.

That will give you a double win, as the colder fuel is denser, so the amount of energy you get per litre is up, even if the fuel stays cold, so you will get more miles to the gallon. If they correct the volume to 15 degrees, then you get the same amount of miles per pound.

Have a look at

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/685831/standard-temperature-accounting-displays.pdf

I cant post with the h t t p s at the front of the link from Russia
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The fuel storage at the forecourt is usually underground, and its temperature doesn't vary much.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,892 Forumite
    Options
    The fuel companies produce seasonal mixes to cope with different seasonal temperatures anyway.

They might have different mileages irrespective of the temperature volume effect.

I don't think that much about it.

Instead I drive an economical non-gas-guzzling car that's small enough to cope with London parking spaces and narrow country lanes. Win-win.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A reduced flow rate means low delivery rate and low price against time spent filling. The price is per litre so no matter what speed it's delivered it's the volume that matters.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Surely if the fuel is pumped more quickly there will be more heat from friction and turbulence, increasing the volume? Good luck measuring the change without the sort of equipment found in a University Physics lab though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure