Somewhere near Manchester for short hotel/lodge stay - Peaks?

Hi.

I'm looking for somewhere nice to go, within an hour or two of Manchester by train, that will allow us to stay only for a couple of nights. Either a hotel or some kind of lodge.

I've had a quick Google and the number of places that it's thrown back at me is bewildering, so I thought I'd come on here and see if anyone can suggest some hidden gems.

Nice scenery, either pub/bar on the premises, or a nice pub nearby. Doesn't need to be loads of activities or anything like that, just fancy getting away for a night or two. Done the lakes a fair bit, so was thinking Maybe the Peaks? No further ideally.

An offer would be nice, or somewhere reasonable, but not actively looking to scrimp on it.

Cheers.

Comments

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Take a look at Buxton or Bakewell
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Edale

the YHA is nice and there are a couple of nice pubs in the village
  • Hi.

Thanks for these suggestions, should probably have added more details.

We're in our mid 40s so places like the YHA won't really do.

And I'm hoping to find actual hotel names, rather than towns & villages...

Cheers.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 2:46PM
    nightofjoy wrote: »
    Hi.

Thanks for these suggestions, should probably have added more details.

We're in our mid 40s so places like the YHA won't really do.

And I'm hoping to find actual hotel names, rather than towns & villages...

Cheers.

Why? Have you been in a hostel lately? I am 69 and use the YHA regularly, they have fantastic hostels in great locations. They have private rooms, some ensuite, a good breakfast, lovely lounge and some have a bar. If you don't fancy the hostel, there is The Nags Head in the village.

If you can only travel by train though you might find hostels difficult to get to. May have to look for somewhere near a railway station.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Yeah, was really looking for a bit of luxury at a reasonable price and hoped through personal experience someone might be able to suggest some hidden gems...
  • Ilona
    Holiday Inn's are quite nice.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • The Peaks is a very popular destination in the UK, so luxury doesnt come cheap. Even a reasonable bed and breakfast will be costing £75+ a night.

Suggest you look on Trip Advisor for some reviews.
  • Yeah, I know the ballpark figures, I was just hoping someone might offer some advice from personal experience, there are loads on TripAdvisor I know...
  • Ilona
    The thing is that you could get a hundred suggestions, but you would still have to sift through them, and even then there might not be one to your liking.

How I do it. Google place name and B & B, or hotel. Check the booking agents, put your dates in, look at what's on offer. See something you like and go onto the B&B/hotel web site, speak to a person, ask questions, and book direct with them on the phone. Works for me.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills