Will my personal debt affect my husband

Options
13»

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope did everything go OP. Did you husband get his car loan?
  • Verityspinelli
    Options
    As long as you haven’t missed any payments then the finance shouldn’t be a problem for your husband.
    However you may have bigger problems ahead of you. At the moment you have a plan about repaying the debt and you tell yourself that you have got it all under control and this time next year you’ll be nearly debt free but the problem is, what if there’s a hiccup along the way? You might need to take time off work or god forbid lose your job, anything can put those plans to pay back the debt on hold.
    The fact you haven’t told him about the debt or the small promotion you have had is going to be a big deal if he does actually catch you in a lie, if he was to ask you about your finances for whatever reason, you are going to have to tell more lies, if he does find out, the debt can be fixed but the deceit is another thing.
    I know you only wanted to know if your debt would affect him but I think you need to take into consideration the stress you are causing yourself trying to keep this secret, well a secret.
    Telling him would be easier but when is the right time to ease it into a conversation? Hiding truths is going to cause you much guilt and anxiety, can’t you just sit him down and say you have made a big mistake in your finances and you are working on putting it right, he might be hacked off but if he loves you he’ll forgive you, or just take the chance and soldier on until the debt is paid. I wish you luck whatever you choose.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If honesty would cause a divorce then there is something much more serious needing looked at here than a new car. Sorry but that's the truth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure