Switching recommendations

Options
I joined the Energy Club in June last year and happily switched as recommended. I have been puzzled since to receive Alerts recommending supposedly better deals which in fact are worse. The figure cited as what I am supposedly currently paying is higher than I am in fact paying. I have checked all the details the Energy Club has about the deal I am currently on and they seem to be right apart from the amount I am paying which I can see no way to edit. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this? I haven't been able to see how to correct it. Thank you

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I joined the Energy Club in June last year and happily switched as recommended. I have been puzzled since to receive Alerts recommending supposedly better deals which in fact are worse. The figure cited as what I am supposedly currently paying is higher than I am in fact paying. I have checked all the details the Energy Club has about the deal I am currently on and they seem to be right apart from the amount I am paying which I can see no way to edit. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this? I haven't been able to see how to correct it. Thank you

To get the best results from the CEC, it's best to input your consumption in kWh (and the CEC will then calculate the cost)

Inputting what you pay per month is less accurate (as you may be under- or over-paying compared to what you actually use)

When you log into your CEC account, you should first be presented with a screen that allows you to update your details.
    If not, then when you get to the list of tariffs being offered, at the top should be "Currently you're paying"
    Click "More details", and the "Edit details"

Or simply use this link once you've logged into your account :)
    https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/edit
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

In common with other Energy comparison sites including uSwitch the MSE CEC now defaults to a calculation over the next 12 months as if you are transferred to the default tariff at the end of your fix. i.e. if you have 8 months of your fix left the calculation will be for 8 months at the fixed rate and 4 months at the default (variable) rate. So therefore that calculation could result in a higher cost than with the fix rate alone calculated over 12 months. This method is as recommended by OFGEM.

You should be able to change the default by clicking on the orange "based on this cost" link on your current tariff details. That link doesn't work for me probably because CEC states that I have a switch in progress even though my switch completed a month ago so I can't test it at this time.
  • JuneS
    JuneS Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    In common with other Energy comparison sites including uSwitch the MSE CEC now defaults to a calculation over the next 12 months as if you are transferred to the default tariff at the end of your fix....
    Our MSE CEC doesn't seem to default that way, although the option does exist to show this calculation method so that you see the same results as most other comparison sites show as default.
    How are the calculations done?

The calculator estimates your current energy usage based on your annual kWh usage, bill amount or Low/Medium/High user data you input.

It takes (or calculates) your current kWh usage by comparing the data you supply to the unit costs associated with your current tariff. Next, this is multiplied against the kWh unit costs of other tariffs provided by other suppliers in your area....
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
    (My highlighting in red)

I can only assume you have actively changed the preferred calculation methood of savings for your account if yours does not do this.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JuneS wrote: »
    Our MSE CEC doesn't seem to default that way, although the option does exist to show this calculation method so that you see the same results as most other comparison sites show as default.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
    (My highlighting in red)

I can only assume you have actively changed the preferred calculation methood of savings for your account if yours does not do this.

Or alternatively you changed the default. The point is that the default can be changed to one of two calculation methods not who has which method. Some people will have one method and others will have the other method. That's the effect of having user configuration LOL
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The figure cited as what I am supposedly currently paying is higher than I am in fact paying.

That confuses a lot of people.

You may actually be paying a higher tariff, but going slightly into a negitive ballance, or the other way around.

It is not your monthly payment which you should be looking at, but the cost of the energy.
  • JuneS
    JuneS Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Or alternatively you changed the default. ..
    No, please see the link which specifies the default method the CEC calculates savings.
  • dollyathome71
    Options
    Thank you for this.
    I did originally give details of consumption s I understood this would be the most accurate information for calculations to be made.
    I have accessed all the details and they are all correct including the unit costs I am paying. The only thing that isn'the is the figure given as the amount I am.paying annually and it does not seem to be possible to change that.
  • dollyathome71
    Options
    Thank you for this.
    There is no discrepancy between the tariff I am paying and that which the Energy Club has me as paying. There is no indication that it has made any assumption about my tariff changing going forward.
    Although I can access all the links re details and editing those I am also not able to get the orange link to work.
  • dollyathome71
    Options
    Thank you.
    As far as I can see the calculations should have been done as you describe. I have not altered any settings
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Thank you for this.
    I did originally give details of consumption s I understood this would be the most accurate information for calculations to be made.
    I have accessed all the details and they are all correct including the unit costs I am paying. The only thing that isn'the is the figure given as the amount I am.paying annually and it does not seem to be possible to change that.

If apples cost 10p each, how much would 10 apples cost?

Why would you be paying a different amount than that???

(Maybe you still owe the shopkeeper for an apple you got last week on tick? :D)

Comparison sites are just glorified calculators calculating the cost of the energy you consume in a year according to the tariff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure