PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Flannelette pillow cases

Options
Can any kind soul please recommend an online source of good old-fashioned decent-quality flannelette pillow cases? The only shop that sold such things hereabouts closed down ages ago, and we don't want to end up with something off Ebay that we can read a paper through after one wash ...
A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sadly no, but my inner radar is always on in charity shops, jumble sales, or at car boot sales:-)

Have you checked John Lewis?
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Tea_Pea_Dee
    Tea_Pea_Dee Posts: 3,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.justlinen.co.uk/justlinen/search.asp?q=Flannelette

I have bought a variety of bedding and towels from the above site. I am not madly keen on flannelette, but did buy a Dorma set (sheets and pillowcases). Pillowcases were fine, but the sheet "bobbled" at the foot end. Gave the sheet to a friend as a cover for the car back seat. Her dog loves it :)

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    ... Have you checked John Lewis?

Not yet, but will do. Funnily enough, the ones we're using this winter came from a charity shop!
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • poorweelass
    Options
    I bought some 5 years ago from Dunelm and whilst they are in the back bedroom so don't get used constantly, they are used regularly and have washed well
  • Si_Clist
    Options
    OK, seeing as how it seems to be impossible to use the webmail contact form on the Dunelm site without quoting a valid order number (and just how stupid is that?) - can anybody tell me if what Dunelm call "deluxe brushed cotton" is what I call flannelette?
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I think brushed cotton is another word for what we know as flannelette.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2019 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Si_Clist
    Options
    Thanks for the very useful link to those comparisons, MM :)
  • ~_Daisy_~
    ~_Daisy_~ Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asda sell brushed cotton bedding,
    We have several sets.

Daisy.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Si_Clist wrote: »
    OK, seeing as how it seems to be impossible to use the webmail contact form on the Dunelm site without quoting a valid order number (and just how stupid is that?) - can anybody tell me if what Dunelm call "deluxe brushed cotton" is what I call flannelette?[/QUOTE

I've found the brushed version isn't quite like the flannelette sheets I bought until a few years ago . As someone mentioned the Dorma bottom sheets bobbled , the pillowcases were ok but it's a few years since I've tried Dorma as the quality is lower than I recall .

I used to buy from JL and they are still going strong , however last time I bought them they were lower quality and I returned for a refund . Looking in debenhams and other stores it's a pretty similar picture . Depending on your access to high st stores I'd recommend actually feeling the quality .Next had some decent sheets and pillowcases but they seem to have lowered the quality recently and last time I looked weren't selling the pillowcases although that may have changed .

I believe Dunelm have some better quality which aren't dorma so maybe worth a look if you can get to a store .

I still have some of the sheets from my offsprings childhood beds and they are now in their 30s and 40s . I regret using some of them as ironing board covers and other make do and mend projects .

Good luck and I'll pop back to see if you find the holy grail.

polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport