My journey to happy and debt free

Options

Comments

• JohnJ76
    JohnJ76 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Really good to hear that things are looking up for you. 2021 is not that far off so a bit of short term pain and by then you will be so disciplined with money you will have be able to have fun thinking about what you are going to do with all the money you used to pay off credit cards and loans!
    good luck, keep us posted
    Worst debt £31,746
    April 2023   £16,610 (-47%)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Glad you have a plan in place and are now getting to grips with budgeting. The reason debt consolidation usually does not work is because the pattern of overspending is not broken so I strongly suggest you get rid of the credit cards so you are not tempted to spend on them again especially if stress tends to make you spend.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Louoffofsparkle
    Options
    Absolutely, I’ve paid a couple off albeit with a consolidation loan. Huge savings as much lower apr. And those cards have been cancelled as soon as they were cleared. Gone is my just in case thinking. I do not need or want them
  • Louoffofsparkle
    Options
    Yeah not far till 2021.
    6 months ago I honestly thought that there was no way out of this. Really wish I’d discovered this site then.
  • Alleywoman
    Options
    hello:

Well done and good luck on your debt busting.
    Have subscribed.

AW
  • BabyStepper
    Options
    Sounds like you are making great progress. Welll done, keep going and keep posting.

Regarding this...

I them spoke with trust deed when I got home, which I wish I never did! I got abused from the person I spoke with and they hoped I was happy to have f’d up my life so badly.
    I am only recently getting out of a cloud of horrifically low suicidal feelings.

Make a complaint. A formal one. Do it in a letter and send by recorded delivery. No-one has the right to talk to you like that, it's outrageous and that person needs to be dealt with so they don't do it again, to you or anyone else.

Cheek. :mad: I've had a some experience of dealing with banks where they behave as though it's THEIR money you have borrowed. It's not, and there is no harm in reminding them of that. ;)
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Absolutely, I’ve paid a couple off albeit with a consolidation loan. Huge savings as much lower apr. And those cards have been cancelled as soon as they were cleared. Gone is my just in case thinking. I do not need or want them

That is exactly the right way to deal with it and so glad your husband is helping you. 2021 is not that far away and you will have loads of spare money once the debt is gone to save for the things you want or need. Good luck.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Louoffofsparkle
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

Having a NSD today, and I’ve got my budget done for the next 2 weeks till payday.
    The biggest spend is on public transport getting to/from work. Have got 3 NSD planned in for next week.
    Going to make sure that I go out for a walk and do some yoga every day next week as well as I always feel much better after it. I do find it hard to do things that are good for me, but need to stay out of the spending to feel better trap because it just doesn’t work.
  • Louoffofsparkle
    Options
    So happy to be home and in my bed after nightshift. Feeling some panic and anxiety due to how my shift ended so just trying to relax and not let myself get carried away with it.

I’ve been reading other diaries to get some ideas and I like the idea of lifting my money for the month and separating it into weekly amounts. Going to take enough out for 5 weeks so I’ve then got a free month after 4/5 weeks depending on length of month.
    Need to budget properly but was thinking of £50 per week to cover public transport as well as ‘me’ spends. I just need to stop mindlessly tapping my card!

Because my wage changes depending on what I worked, I have used my lowest normal wage as a benchmark and any extra will be plowed into paying a card.
    I’ve also got £22 due to be paid out via top cash back so that’s going to a card as soon as it’s payable.
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck, keep posting and keep at it.
    Sorry to hear work didn't go too well.

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories