PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A simpler life 2019

Options
123457»

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another former teacher here .Retired or should i say gave up at 51 husband also a teacher was 60 and his health wasn,t great. This last week after 3 days in hospital i have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and fluid on my lungs. So a change of lifestyle forboth of us.Don,t want to move house just yet as we both love it here but the garden is getting a bit much so a crew of men for 2 days are going to tame it next week.
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    grunnie, that does not sound fun. Poor you. I hope you're feeling better soon and can tackle the ailments with the help of a simpler life indeed.

There must be something magic about the number 51. Same age I gave up teaching, along with a couple of my teacher friends. Perhaps getting to the 50 milestone makes us realise what's really valuable in life and it sure ain't the stress of a job like teaching!

Today my simple life will include:
    A lie in
    Soup making
    Cake baking
    A walk in the snow
    A read of my book
    A warm fire
    A check through the wood pile to find shed mending planks
    Maybe a wee drinkie tonight in front of the TV

Hooray for simple things.

Slowdown:)
  • Slowdown
    Options
    Had a very simple Saturday today. All meals homemade, DH and I removed half the shed roof, removed all nails and the felt from the other side and covered with plastic sheeting until we can get the wood to fix it, bought a swim pass at the local pool, knitted this evening whilst watching tv. Smashing! And simple.
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    I love the idea of this thread.

My grown kids get a glazed eye look when they look at all I’ve accumulated. I know they would not want hardly anything I’ve got as our tastes are as very very different. We are going to move in about two years, so I have given myself that amount of time to cull and disburse.

This will be a nice place to come for inspiration.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Slowdown
    Options
    Hi milasavesmoney,
    Simplifying means so many different things to different people and too much 'stuff' is a common feature. I've cut down my stuff and not replaced it so it feels better. I'm not a minimalist, who likes nothing much around them, as I do like to feel homely and cosy but clutter certainly adds stress.

Had a day of simple delights yesterday in the shape of swimming, walking and gardening, punctuated by homemade meals and a bit of knitting and reading. Probably sounds boring to some but it's marvellous for me. Each to their own eh.

:)
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Good to see people living simply here!

Have also be enjoying simple pleasures here. Home cooked meals, free library audiobooks and Ebooks, music, movies, cuddling and walks on the cold but dry days. Home baked treats and visiting family and friends. I wonder why we take so long to get to the things that really matter?

Have a good day one and all

Bexster :)
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Hello everyone

How are you doing?

I haven't really thought about simpler living at all those last weeks which is a good thing as I just did it without thinking much about it. I sticked to my relatively simple meal, I decluttered the odd few things (not much, but still a few things here and there) and I haven't really bought anything besides food and household essentials.

One of my goals for this year is waiting a month before buying things so I have a little list in my diary. Of the things I could buy in February something already came off the list as I'm no longer interessted...
    But the other item on the list, a series of books, are currently shipped to me, I decided to use my christmas money for that.

Have a lovely evening!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • RainbowHippie
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

Well, my OH and i are now on the first of our adventures - a little 'practice' one house/dog-sitting for people we know in Devon while they are away. Hoping this will help us find nice house-sits when it is our main source of accommodation later in the year, as we'll have a review for the 'real thing' (i've looked after pets and houses for friends and family but never for this long or by actually living in the house!)
    We've been enjoying our adventure so far - it's nice not to be surrounded by our own 'stuff' and clutter, though our hosts have plenty of their own! It's been nice to get out and about more, and i have friends from Uni in the South West so we've had some good social times catching up with them. A friend from home has started a Sunday evening radio show so we've been spending our Sunday nights listening to that and playing computer games (OH) or knitting/crafting (me). If anything, being away is giving us the headspace to remind ourselves of the kind of days/evenings we enjoy and how we prefer to live, so in that sense it's already accomplishing what i was hoping for.

I didnt manage to find time for a car boot sale in January, but got rid of a lot of stuff on eb*y before we left home at the end of Jan, and we'll be returning for most of April to get rid of more and start packing up stuff ready for storage. I'll book in for a car boot sale as soon as we get back, it will be nice to get rid of the boxed-up stuff taking up space in the attic and spare room.

Tomorrow i need to have a go at taking apart the washing machine at the house we're in (i have got the owner's permission lol) as it sounds like the carbon brushes are gone and i want to check before ordering new ones. (I only sound like i have some idea what i'm talking about because the same thing happened to our washer in December - they have the same machine about the same age, so i guess it makes sense the brushes on theirs would be on the way out too!) I have work to do today but we can't do laundry until it's fixed so i need to get on with it first thing tomorrow! Doing it myself isn't exactly simplifying, but it does save me having to find an engineer in an unfamiliar area and it will be very satisfying if i can sort it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure