PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A simpler life 2019

Options

Comments

• iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Your post at the start of the page is my kind of aim for life RicardaRacoon

I am tempted to spend a little down time really focusing on my vision for a simpler life, note it down altogether to really build a sense of where 'slow\simple' living lies for me.
    Has anyone else done similar?
    I find the words easy to say = I want to live a simpler life but it's harder to envision in real life actuality.

Hi. I spend time on train journeys or when i am on my own for a while considering what i want from my simple life, otherwise I find I struggle to get in the “zone” to think or people distract me. I have a notebook where i put my thoughts down, sometimes as a couple of paragraphs and othertimes as a mind map (it depends on my mood)
    I think everyone’s vision will be just a bit different and thats the joy. I know mine involves my garden and a shorter commute.
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I really wish someone would set up a knitting group locally in the evenings, there is one during the day but another one in the evening would be lovely...

Could you start one do you think? Perhaps theres a few others out there thinking the same and if you start it you can make it on a night and in a place that suits you best :D

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Could you start one do you think? Perhaps theres a few others out there thinking the same and if you start it you can make it on a night and in a place that suits you best :D

Daisy xx

The problem is the place really. Neither me nor my Mum have space to host it... And none of the ones that would maybe join have either.... The room where my Mums afternoon knitting group meets is from the church and in order to get it - without having to pay rent - it had to be over the WI and they don't see the need for a second knitting group.... The only other option would be a restaurant but I don't think they would be too happy to host a group of woman who stay for two, three hour and only have a tea each... My Sunday knitting group in town meet at a Starbvcks because they don't mind you sitting there for a couple of hours...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Elnora32
    Elnora32 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join please?

I have been reading this thread with interest as a couple of years ago I started to live a more simple life. I have been getting more active, making changes to my diet and getting rid of unwanted possessions. It's great to read about others who have a likeminded approach to life.

I will keep popping in for inspiration.

Elnora
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Elnora32 wrote: »
    Can I join please?

I have been reading this thread with interest as a couple of years ago I started to live a more simple life. I have been getting more active, making changes to my diet and getting rid of unwanted possessions. It's great to read about others who have a likeminded approach to life.

I will keep popping in for inspiration.

Elnora

Welcome :)
    Pleased to have you with us.
    What does a simple life look like for you?

Today we embraced some of life's simple pleasures. Lunch in the car at a country riverside park. Walk out in the brisk weather. We did a bit of bird watching in a little bridged pond area with robins galore. They seem such a cheery bird.
    Not our usual activity but was nice to just be out, some sunshine on my face etc. Had to head back as DS was feeling the cold but he lasted longer than I thought and communicated it well (suspected SEN needs)....
    Called into their visitors centre as I remembered a mention of a display cal led Guardians of the Deep. Large display of hand knitted and crocheted native marine creatures. Adorable to see. Spent some time with that and DS seemed to enjoy it too.
    Came home and had boar d\card games out instead of usual tv and consoles time.

Feeling very "soul full" after that, and it cements how much more of that I want for us to achieve in our lives.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    The problem is the place really. Neither me nor my Mum have space to host it... And none of the ones that would maybe join have either.... The room where my Mums afternoon knitting group meets is from the church and in order to get it - without having to pay rent - it had to be over the WI and they don't see the need for a second knitting group.... The only other option would be a restaurant but I don't think they would be too happy to host a group of woman who stay for two, three hour and only have a tea each... My Sunday knitting group in town meet at a Starbvcks because they don't mind you sitting there for a couple of hours...

Just a few ideas that work in our area: Our 'Loving Hands' group meets at a Laser Quest (during the day). As we are making things for charity, that ticks a box for them at a point they want to be open for occasional customers and maintenance, so they are happy that we buy cups of tea.
    Our Village Hall gets a decent income from regular groups, so if we are approached by a community / charity group, we will usually give them a few free weeks whilst they establish themselves.
    A nearby pub is popular at weekends and summer evenings. They host community groups for free in the winter, as selling a few drinks in their quiet period is better than none!
    I know a 'yarn' group meets there.
  • Elnora32
    Elnora32 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome CAFCGirl.
    My idea of a simple life is to live at a slower pace and I try to walk every day, always cook from scratch and I have some hens so I bake cakes rather than buy lots of biscuits.

I would like to learn to sew and took a short course last year. I have made a couple of simple tops but I really need to spend more time practising and this year I am aiming to put time aside to try something more complicated.
    I hope everyone is having a good day.
    Elnora
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Bit of a latecomer here but I hope you don't mind me joining in.

I adopted the name 'Slowdown' some years ago when life was truly overwhelming me. I have since given up teaching after a long career just like Teacher2. I just couldn't carry on any longer. I gave up Dec 2017 and did a bit of cleaning for some old ladies and a friend in 2018. Life had slowed down as you can imagine but guilt got the better of me and I began to decorate, mend things, give myself jobs to do to convince myself I was worthwhile even though not earning much. Then I took a seasonal job with John Lewis in Oxford Street from October to January, which meant long days with an hour and a quarter commute, sometimes not getting home until 11 or later. Some days I was also getting up at 3 am to run my son 30 mins up the motorway to a new job. Last week he passed his test and so no more of that, thank goodness.

And since Christmas I have been unwell. Very run down, extremely low iron count found a couple of weeks ago and staying in bed today.

So, my mission is to simplify for real. Not just try, feel guilty, stress out, get ill, try again. Last week I did two days of supply teaching. I had signed up for three weeks and yesterday rang to say I am just not up for it anymore. I'm very proud of myself for doing so. Usually I'd just soldier on and become very anxious.

For the coming year I intend to relax more, read more, grow more vegetables, carry on cooking the basics, walk more, craft more, and appreciate who I am more without criticism.

I've used the word 'more' a lot which might seem at odds with simplifying but it's really not.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I'm going to read my book and have a snooze. I'm worn out after reading all your lovely posts!

Slowdown:)
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hello Slowdown

Another former teacher here!

Your post today really resonated. I left FT teaching Dec 2017, and all employed teaching last summer. I now work for myself ( still in education). I am unwell, nothing serious, just a bad cold and throat. I too would normally just carry on, but yesterday and today I cancelled work so I can rest. Apart from picking up some milk in case we get the forecast snow tonight, I intend to do nothing more strenuous than make some soup for my lunch today. I can also feel guilty etc for doing less. My plans for this year are much like yours. I've already started planning my planting for food this year, I plan to sew more, craft more and read more. Whilst I have work goals still, they are no longer the main consideration in my life. I wish you the best of luck in your renewed efforts, and will read along cheering you on.

Bexster :)
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bexster, we could be twins! Our stories sound very similar, as do our aims. That old misery called guilt. Easy to pick up, difficult to put down. However, my 2019 aim is to leave all that behind me and live a free, simple life.

As you can imagine, money is much tighter. I have found ways to economise and somehow that encourages simplification. Lots of vegetarian meals cooked from scratch, being a much more savvy shopper, not buying things I don't need etc.

One way I have discovered to slow down is by visiting libraries, galleries and museums. These are places of serenity and calm. People generally move around at a snail's pace. Lots of them are free too.

Yoga and meditation are helping to slow me down and help me decide what's important and right in a world that's going wrong.

Anyway, I'm so looking forward to hearing how everyone is living their simpler days. Keep up the slowing down!

Slowdown:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport