Sort of debt-free but hope to be a super-scrimper in 2019

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 21 January 2019 at 3:02PM
    Options
    A cauliflower is a lovely, if hilarious, present :D and I'm glad you're off the hook with clearing out the shed :T.

We have an upright freezer and it is very convenient and easy to see what's in there without falling in :rotfl:. One should definitely be on your wish list.

You sound as if you have a very healthy diet with all the homegrown vegetablel you eat.

Thank you:T. I'm very tempted by the idea of an upright freezer 'one day' but gallygirl, who posted just before you did, doesn't recommend one. I'm so out of touch with what's available that I'll need to go to a few stores and examine the various types. I'll probably buy online from somewhere like AO though as they are usually cheaper, do next day free delivery and I can probably also get some cashback on Quidco or TopCashback. I bought my washing machine that way when my ancient one died. I went into Currys and a couple of other places and examined the various models to make sure I bought exactly the right one. It's a daunting process buying 'big' items when money is in short supply:eek:. No wonder the High Street is struggling if lots of people are like me and just use the stores as a showroom but then buy online:o.

We've always been very fond of veg and even before we started growing much I used to buy lots of different kinds from the market. Now we grow most of our own (except cauliflower:rotfl:)it's an added bonus that something we like and is really good for us is also cheap:j. There's the work of course but OH does the gardening and never minds being outside in all weathers. I do all the cooking and freezing so we're a good team.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 21 January 2019 at 7:14PM
    Options
    I've had a frustrating afternoon with MSE as I kept losing posts and receiving lots of error messages. Has anyone else experienced any gremlins this afternoon? All seems to be OK now so fingers crossed that I can post this without any problems.

Sold one of my final 2 eBay items yesterday and it's been posted. Made £11.50 which pleased me no end as I was so pleased to see the back of it:j. It was a monstrosity of a gifted knick-knack which I'd never used. It's been hidden away for about 10 years but I still felt guilty about disposing of it. The donor meant well.

I drove OH to the surgery to have his hand dressed and, as I suspected, the Practice Nurse wouldn't let him keep the strapping and padding off. She thinks it might be able to be removed next week but I think he needs the Doc to see it first.

They were running late at the surgery and the waiting room was packed so I didn't stay and keep him company. Instead I had a quick walk into the village centre where there's a wonderful Aladdin's Cave of a hardware/homeware shop. It's a tiny shop but is absolutely crammed with anything anyone could ever want. The shelves are so close together that you have to breathe in and squeeze through, trying not to send things crashing down.

I was really chuffed to find a pair of stainless steel turning tongs in the 'everything £1' box:j. My last old pair split in two last year and I've been managing with other utensils but proper tongs make things so much easier for turning things like HM burgers which break up easily (mine do anyway:eek:), chicken pieces and sausages which I seem to drop unless gripped well:o. I didn't buy anything else:j. There were lots of nice things that fit more on the 'wants' list than the 'needs' one though;)
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Yes I had a few gremlins earlier. Every time I clicked through to see replies on threads I was getting a load of gobbledegook computer type writing in blue and pink. Seems fine now though

Well done on your bargain tongs. I love kitchen bits and bobs.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Posting has been unproblematic for me today.

Well done on selling something you hated and what a great bargain the tongs were :T.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,321 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Fab news on the sale :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • tantaraza
    Options
    It’s been lovely catching up on your diary and great to hear OH is on the road to recovery! Well done on the sale — also those tongs sound like a bargain! :T
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 22 January 2019 at 6:49AM
    Options
    tantaraza wrote: »
    It’s been lovely catching up on your diary and great to hear OH is on the road to recovery! Well done on the sale — also those tongs sound like a bargain! :T

Thank you:T. It's always lovely to see you here:)

I've just been over to your diary and subscribed. I'm so happy that you started a diary of your own and I know you'll find it as beneficial as I have with mine:T. I intended to visit as soon as you'd mentioned it on HHoD's diary but shed-related issues seem to have taken over my life:rotfl:. I'll definitely be a regular visitor from now on:)

I love the title of your diary by the way:T. Even though I'm 'sort of' debt free I certainly have plenty of frogs, whoppers too:eek:, in other areas of my life that still need to be eaten.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Fab news on the sale :j

Thank you:T

I really dislike eBay these days and find every excuse not to list things. But then I'm a procrastinator anyway:o. When I first started using it in 1999 it was much more low-key and friendly. There were less professional and business sellers on there and a nice almost community spirit. I developed 'friendships' with a couple of people, one in New Zealand and one in USA, who bought things from me as far back as 2000 and we still exchange emails and Christmas cards to this day:j. Nowadays it all seems fraught with angst. Stroppy buyers and increasing rules and regs make it anything but fun any more:(

When I was drowning in debt I had to use it and out of necessity sold anything that wasn't nailed down:o. I just had to bite the bullet and force myself to get on with it. Now, when it's not so urgent, I tend to find every excuse to put it off. I was quite pleased with myself, amazed even:rotfl:, that I managed to list 10 items this time but I'd earmarked them for a free Final Valuation Fees offer as they were more valuable than the other tat I have left to sell on there and would have cost more in fees without the offer. Once a penny-pincher always a penny-pincher;)

I just have one item left unsold and one woman has emailed me 3 times about it asking for clarification on things which were clearly explained in the listing's text or obvious from the photos I'd uploaded. If she ends up buying I won't mind that I've wasted my time on repeating it all but almost a week has gone by with no further response from her so I'm not holding my breath:(

I had an email last week from Amazon referring to some new payment or fee arrangement for sellers. I didn't give it much attention at the time as I was a bit bogged down in other things (such as sheds:rotfl:) but I need to read it again. I used to sell books quite regularly on Amazon and although their fees are extortionate IMO they were niche books that sold well. I took down my remaining inventory months ago when more pressing things took over my life:eek: and I should really organise myself and relist. That's another thing I procrastinate about but the listing process is so much quicker and easier than on eBay so I really have no excuse:o
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on the sales.

My HM burgers break up too. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!

I had the email from Amazon too as I used to sell my books on there. However, when I went to check I couldn't find my selling account. I assume they've removed it as I haven't sold for so long (either that or it's just hidden and I can't remember where to find it).
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Well done on the sales.

My HM burgers break up too. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!

I had the email from Amazon too as I used to sell my books on there. However, when I went to check I couldn't find my selling account. I assume they've removed it as I haven't sold for so long (either that or it's just hidden and I can't remember where to find it).

Thank you:T

I hope I don't have problems accessing my seller account:(,, I had problems once before and it was a frustrating experience having it reinstated so I didn't lose my 'feedback' and rating:eek:

I thought it was just my burgers that broke up:rotfl:. All I put in mine is minced meat, a bit of black pepper and some finely grated onion. I think the commercial ones have something to bind them, like a beaten egg or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure