What shall I do with £20K?

I have £20K to invest/save. I have no mortgage or debts and have the max premium bonds. I don't need to be able to get at the money for a few years. I'm not a risk taker but would at least like my money to retain its value. Any suggestions about what I could do with it? TIA

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    EthanHawke wrote: »
    I have £20K to invest/save. I have no mortgage or debts and have the max premium bonds. I don't need to be able to get at the money for a few years. I'm not a risk taker but would at least like my money to retain its value. Any suggestions about what I could do with it? TIA

There's nothing available that guarantees to preserve its value.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    With that amount you would need to take some risk to stand a chance of keeping up with inflation. Still if you don't want to take any risk there are some accounts that pay 3%+ but its a lot of hassle as most as promotional so don't take large deposits.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2018 at 10:49PM
    You could have a stab at it for a while with the following:

Nationwide FlexDirect (5% for 12 months up to £2.5K) + 5% regular saver.
    Tesco Current account (3% on £3K until 04/19 at the moment) - You can have 2 of these in your sole name.
    TSB Classic Plus (5% on £1500) + 2% regular saver

Plus several other current accounts with linked regular savers. There are requirements attached to these accounts but they will accommodate a little over half of your cash (inc reg savers) and get you some way towards catching up with inflation - if you don't mind a bit of faff setting them up and maintaining them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure