Best way to keep track of bills

Hi all,

Ok...So I feel like I have tried everything.

YNAB, Spreadsheets, EveryDollar, Notepads in my handbag.

I am trying to find the perfect way of keeping track of my weekly direct debits, outgoings etc.

I can't decide if I want it on paper to hand so that I can keep it updated regularily when I an waiting for children at kids clubs etc or if it's better to be an app on my phone.

I used to do YNAB and got into a brilliant habit of once a day sitting down to reconcile YNAB against my bank account but I now have a full time jobs and barely have time to sit down at my own PC at night so the habit was broken.

How do you all manage your accounts? I need something flexible that I can amend and adjust regularly. I am thinking something in my handbag and a pencil. :o

Replies

• MndMnd Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Try that Steph, but in the end it's what works for you with the self discipline to keep it up
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • BuffythedebtslayerBuffythedebtslayer Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Steph!

Blimey! not seen you in AGES!

I found the best way for me is to have a bills account and a spends account, all my bills come out of the one account, ideally on the same day or days (the pain in the bum is the pet insurance which is the 15th) and I pay "myself" my spending money for the shopping, pets, clothes hair etc.

Good to "see" you XXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    If you have a proper budget most of it does not need tracking it just works.

Day to day week to week stuff is a small subset you can keep in your head or on a sheet of paper update any tool once a week or monthly.

Only spend what's in the budget.
  • PepperoniPepperoni Forumite
    461 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I use YNAB and do it all on my mobile now. I log onto my banking app, screen shot the days transactions and enter into YNAB app through out the day as I can. I then try to log on to the desktop version to reconcile once a week. Dare I say it, but sounds like you just need to make it a habit again?
    • [STRIKE]Credit Card: £2,989 / £2,989[/STRIKE]
    • Bank Loan: £12,000 / £14,000
  • StressedStephStressedSteph Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Steph!

I found the best way for me is to have a bills account and a spends account, all my bills come out of the one account, ideally on the same day or days (the pain in the bum is the pet insurance which is the 15th) and I pay "myself" my spending money for the shopping, pets, clothes hair etc.

Good to "see" you XXX

Hiya Buffy,

I fell off the Waggon :-((

Thankfully (weirdly!) my credit rating is so bad I haven't actually added to my debt, it's just not reduced at all during 2018 :(:(

I might start up a diary again today as need to get control of my misc spending yet again.

Thanks so much for your reply. Life has changed alot and I need to find a system that works for me. No clue what that is at the moment :o
  • edited 1 January 2019 at 11:55AM
    MndMnd Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2019 at 11:55AM
    Start with your diary, this should give you the focus you need

I see you've done it..I will keep reading
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • unicornrose2804unicornrose2804 Forumite
    57 Posts
    Forumite
    I swear by everydollar. i use it religiously! They sell some fab little budget books in wilko for about £3 they are pocket size and handy to keep on you! x
  • datlexdatlex Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Steph!

Good to "see" you XXX
    Totally agree with this, It was the key for me too separating bills and spends. You can actually go further and have separate accounts for different longer term bills too. e.g. put aside money for Christmas, for holidays, for insurance for example.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • I use YNAB, but don't update it every day. Sometimes I go for a couple weeks without updating it. I always spend on my card so I can keep track of everything and then spend an hour one weekend putting all the transactions in from the week.

It's working for me so far. I used to update it on the bus on the way home from work, but I get the tube now so can't do it underground with no signal!

In fact today I've been going through it all and reconciling last year and making sure all my accounts are accurate, so I know what my starting 'debt' is at the beginning of the year.

I'm glad to say my debt is decreased by over £2000 last year. (although 3k was my target)
  • ToonsyToonsy Forumite
    77 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I do mine mentally. Sort of. That is I know what I've got in the bank.

But...

I only know this as I have a notepad. Each month I wrote down planned outgoings on which dates and also incomings like wages. So I know that Friday the 4th is payday but of that payday any DD payments before the 11th fall into this week.

It sounds so simple but it's really helped me understand my incomings and outgoings. I'm not sure what I'll get paid Friday but I know that out of it £275ish is already 'gone' effectively. As I say it's simple but it's worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals