PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Comments

• rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    May i sign up for this challenge please?
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • Welcome rosie51 !

I had a knitting disaster yesterday where I cast off my first ever rib knit scarf and it unravelled. My mum came and fixed it for me. I guess you have to cast off a different way if there are plain AND purl stitches :rotfl:
    Well it’s all a learning experience!

Did some ironing from the bottom of the pile today, it’s amazing what you find in there.

If you buy something on eBay from a private seller that is new and unworn, does that still count as secondhand?
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • vintagegal wrote: »

If you buy something on eBay from a private seller that is new and unworn, does that still count as secondhand?

Ooh, good question. :think:

I have no idea!
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry that I have been awol for ages. I am in the middle of a house move so everything else is consigned to that great dumping ground, 'oblivion'.

However, I hope to be in my new abode by the end of this month or beginning of next, so will pick up the threads of normal (?) life. Then I will be back to bore you rigid with what it was really like living through the war and after.

Just to make you all green with envy, the only clothes I bought last year were a couple of items from the CS. I must be awash with coupons and (cups hand over mouth and slides eyes shiftily from side to side) am open to offers.

Back to packing boxes. Thank goodness books aren't rationed.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 January 2019 at 4:47PM
    vintagegal wrote: »
    Welcome rosie51 !

I had a knitting disaster yesterday where I cast off my first ever rib knit scarf and it unravelled. My mum came and fixed it for me. I guess you have to cast off a different way if there are plain AND purl stitches :rotfl:
    Well it’s all a learning experience!

Did some ironing from the bottom of the pile today, it’s amazing what you find in there.

Sorry to hear about the cast-off problem. I've never found a difference between casting off purl and knit, so wonder what you were doing wrong. Normally, it's knit or purl 2 stitches, then slip the first stitch over the second. Knit a third stitch and slip the second over the third, etc.

If they're a private individual, it's secondhand so coupon free. However, if you want to count them in your coupon spend, you're perfectly entitled to do so.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • PipneyJane
    :rotfl: you always make me smile, Laura!

I love the idea of Fix-And-Finish February, by the way. I've done quite a bit of knitting but I'm not sure I'd ever have the courage to do what you're describing Pip, do you mean you're knitting in the opposite direction to before? Top to waistband as opposed to knitting from waistband up to shoulders? I'd never considered it as a possibility, does it look the same? Sorry, perhaps this is a question for the Knitting thread.

There will be a slight jag, because the loops downwards are to the side of the ones you'd normally knit. Given that the yarn is a blue ply wrapped around a white one, I'm going to test it first to see if it's visible. The alternative is to knit up from the rib and graft/Kitchener Stitch it. It depends on which is more visible, since even if I pick up and work down, I'll still have to graft on the rib. (Does that make sense?)
    Thanks for the support around my purchases, everyone! Good to know I'm on the right track. I'm appreciating the new undies like I wouldn't have before so definitely paying more attention. Also been looking through my wardrobe to see what's what, and what I might need for the year ahead.

My heavy winter coat looks good as new, I picked the bobbles off and also fixed the button holes. I have a shorter winter coat, a long lighter one for spring and I might need a light summer jacket so need to start a charity shop search for that. I had a quick look in a couple of charity shops yesterday and the pickings were not good. I forgot it's a long term project, trying to find what you need in charity shops. Once I've figured out what I'm looking for I might start making regular trips to catch all the best stuff when it comes in.

Then there's the things you can't get second hand. So the undies, and I'm also looking at shoes. My current winter boots are cheap rubbish that will only do this season if I'm lucky and might need resoled. My lighter shoes are useless for walking anywhere, too flimsy, and my trainers are old and have the sole falling off. I don't know where to start with all this so I'm leaving it for now.

I am in serious need of trousers, I have one decent pair and 2 that are only good for lounging around at home. I saw a pair in the sale, so lovely, heavy cotton with a wide blue ribbon stripe down the side. I'll have to see how the money goes this month.

I'm also thinking about taking up crotchet again. I used to be really good at it and it would be handy for things like wrist warmers, hats and scarves. Anyone on here know how to crotchet?

I crochet. I've been crocheting since I was 3 or 4. Like Laura, I can never remember what the stitches are called so always look them up before I make something. (Also, there's the British version and the American version of each stitch - they aren't the same names.) I'd suggest that you check out Ravelry for free patterns, links to crochet magazines, etc. There are at least two fashion crochet magazines, Interweave Crochet and Inside Crochet, which may inspire you.
    rosie51 wrote: »
    May i sign up for this challenge please?

Yes, of course! Welcome Rosie. Pull up a chair beside our virtual fire, break out your knitting/sewing/crochet/mending and join us for a cuppa.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    Glad to bring a grin! A very wartime attitude, keep smiling through...!

I only ever knit my cardigans top-down, in the round... I cast on at the neck, increase either for a round yoke or squared, put some stitches onto waste yarn for the sleeves, cast on some to replace them and continue down on the body, cast off after the ribbing; pick up the sleeves and knit downwards. Then I wash it, and if it's Shetland or other hairy wool I just cut it straight away, but if it's smoother yarn, I sew a piece of ribbon up either side of the centre-front, and then cut. Fold the edges under and stitch the ribbon over, then crochet the button-bands and there we go.

Outside of a cardi IMG_8109_medium2.JPG

And the inside of the cardi with two colours of velvet ribbon to stabilise the buttonholes IMG_8108_medium2.JPG

Beautiful work, Laura. And a very good description of steeking. I admire your bravery. While I've done classes about it - I took a class from Alice Starmore years ago - I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to cut my knitting - the constant refrain of "what happens if I want to unravel and reuse the wool" runs through my head.

- Pip

• PipneyJane
    monnagran wrote: »
    Sorry that I have been awol for ages. I am in the middle of a house move so everything else is consigned to that great dumping ground, 'oblivion'.

However, I hope to be in my new abode by the end of this month or beginning of next, so will pick up the threads of normal (?) life. Then I will be back to bore you rigid with what it was really like living through the war and after.

Just to make you all green with envy, the only clothes I bought last year were a couple of items from the CS. I must be awash with coupons and (cups hand over mouth and slides eyes shiftily from side to side) am open to offers.

Back to packing boxes. Thank goodness books aren't rationed.

Good luck with the move Monnagran. Hope it goes well.

- Pip (And no, you don't bore us about living through rationing. You inform.)

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I spent coupons!
    Shocking ...... LOL

I went out yesterday with Mum on a very specific mission for a calender, a book and some hiking style warm socks for wearing in my wellies as my others have now worn through on the soles entirely and there's next to no fibres left.

So 2 pairs found, and 1 proving exceptionally warm so far.
    2 coupons down.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • My first coupons gone...!

"...one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs. (4 coupons)"

So one pair of new knicks = 2 coupons... :o

64 coupons left.

I didn't need new knickers - but they were gloriously scarlet lace shorts and they were one-third price in M&S, and I shall look after them and handwash them so they last!

There is buying what you need, and choosing sensibly, and then there is a time and a place for scarlet lace knickers! :D
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure