PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a big fan of grey, I find it quite easy to cool or warm as a base colour,
    I like a nice link grey in luxurious fabrics, with that soft pink\lilac undertone.

Pigeon grey I quite like with khaki, or a very soft blush pink, nothing too 'sharp'.

I have some nice grey skinny jeans which have something stretchy in them so it doesn't trigger my senses by being rigid and close to my skin. I'm currently working on variations I can build with those as a base. Current mission is a cream slouch jumper, so I'm searching EBay LOL

I did get to work today on a new loom project of a shawl - I've not done one before, I can see myself wearing it as an oversized scarf. My gauge was too big I think for the yarn but I've grasped the mechanics of it so happy in that respect and helps me figure out the cowl vest thing I have been mentally planning
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Broke_Bear
    Options
    Bought 4 t-shirts and a pair of pumps ready for holibobs, 25 points used out of 33 for the half year. * points left :eek:
    If thou of fortune be bereft, and of thine earthly store hath left,Two loaves, Sell one and with the dole, buy hyacinths to feed the soul. 'Anon'

Debt Dec '19 - £30,678
    Debt End of Dec '23 - £0.00 - 100% paid off
    Entering the debt free life and hoping to stay that way permanently!
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    My paid work away is over til October (and then that is familiar work; this was rather scary new-area-of-work, so took a lot of energies...).
    The small pathetic man who drove away after hitting my chap's adult son last winter is waking this morning in prison, so that's now settled (we had no idea which way the verdict would go, let aloen sentencing).

I am now free of major distractions til October, and I am REALLY eyeing those shelves of clothing and my side of the hanging-cupboard...!

It can't stay like that - I can't use half the things because too much is crammed in too tightly. I need to sort out the top of the cupboard this weekend, and then I can use that space to put some clothing into while I decide. I don't want to just get rid of everything, because I have always worn items that I didn't wear for 10 or 15 years... but some things are ugly, poor quality, or worn out, and those should go.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Hopefully this works.https://www.vettacapsule.com/blogs/blog/the-complete-guide-to-creating-a-capsule-wardrobe had to give over my email but so far I've had the link email and no other gumph

Thank you. I have had a very quick look at that and I like what I see. I may just learn something about myself doing this.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 August 2019 at 4:32PM
    Options
    Hopefully this works.https://www.vettacapsule.com/blogs/blog/the-complete-guide-to-creating-a-capsule-wardrobe had to give over my email but so far I've had the link email and no other gumph

Thank you. I have had a very quick look at that and I like what I see. I may just learn something about myself doing this.

I've signed up, too. It took a few minutes for the download link to hit my in-box. Thanks again for the link CAFCgirl. I had a glance at the Capsule Wardrobes for sale on their website and doubt that any of the outfits featured would suit me. I don't like a lot of current fashions - skinny jeans excepted - and most wouldn't suit me anyway.

Something that also hit my inbox recently was an email from Dan Snow's History Hit, which reminded me that World War 2 started eighty years ago, on 1st September 1939. I'm wondering who else will notice. Personally, I'm wondering what to do to mark the occasion (beyond saying a prayer).

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    I'm a big fan of grey, I find it quite easy to cool or warm as a base colour,
    I like a nice link grey in luxurious fabrics, with that soft pink\lilac undertone.

Pigeon grey I quite like with khaki, or a very soft blush pink, nothing too 'sharp'.

I have some nice grey skinny jeans which have something stretchy in them so it doesn't trigger my senses by being rigid and close to my skin. I'm currently working on variations I can build with those as a base. Current mission is a cream slouch jumper, so I'm searching EBay LOL

I did get to work today on a new loom project of a shawl - I've not done one before, I can see myself wearing it as an oversized scarf. My gauge was too big I think for the yarn but I've grasped the mechanics of it so happy in that respect and helps me figure out the cowl vest thing I have been mentally planning

I had my colours done, years ago, and grey is one of my colours. (I'm on the Winter spectrum.) I have multiple grey items: hats, suits, jumpers, a wrap, a coat, etc. It's a great basic to build a wardrobe around. I learned fairly early on that everyone will remember if you wear the royal purple suit to work more than once a month, but nobody will notice if you wear the grey tweed suit twice a week.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• CAFCGirl
    Options
    pipneyJane oh I fully agree about their pre designed capsules, not nearly enough utility in it for me, I need clothes I can live in. But I used them for the workbook LOL
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Laura I'm glad to hear that there's been a conclusion to the terrible story of your chap's son and his accident - it will never be concluded for him, of course, because he's going to bear the effects for the rest of his life, but I hope it's given a sense of closure. And that he can get some compensation for his injuries.

I've downloaded the workbook, I'm hoping it will give me some focus but I'm stumped on the first question about what my style is! I think it's going to be useful for me to actually sit and think about this, especially as it's undergone some changes lately. I've got a free evening tomorrow, and this sounds like just the thing for Friday night – park myself on the bed with a cup of tea and take a proper look at what's in my wardrobe.

PS - back on topic, another 3 coupons today for a corset, I mean two new bras. Badly needed and they are not something I can get second-hand.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    My paid work away is over til October (and then that is familiar work; this was rather scary new-area-of-work, so took a lot of energies...).
    The small pathetic man who drove away after hitting my chap's adult son last winter is waking this morning in prison, so that's now settled (we had no idea which way the verdict would go, let alone sentencing).

Laura, that is good news and must be a load of everyone's shoulders. The Offspring can now get on with healing without having to worry about the court case.
    I am now free of major distractions til October, and I am REALLY eyeing those shelves of clothing and my side of the hanging-cupboard...!

It can't stay like that - I can't use half the things because too much is crammed in too tightly. I need to sort out the top of the cupboard this weekend, and then I can use that space to put some clothing into while I decide. I don't want to just get rid of everything, because I have always worn items that I didn't wear for 10 or 15 years... but some things are ugly, poor quality, or worn out, and those should go.

Understood. I need to do this too, because the wardrobe is looking a bit full. There's also the dilemma: I don't wear item X because it doesn't fit. It hasn't fitted in 15 years but I kept it because it is a useful basic. What are the odds that I'll ever get back to that weight, given that I have been fighting that losing battle for years? Even if I got back to the weight I was when I bought it, will I wear it?

- Pip (Ahem.... Writing that down, I have just convinced myself to get rid of 3 suits.)

• CAFCGirl
    Options
    PollyWolly

That stumped me too! I started by highlighting the words and then write out more of what I want my wardrobe to do, which ended up giving me a lot of descriptive words and named my style without me actually naming it iyswim...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family