PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Crafty_Lisa_Hampshire
    Options
    I succumbed to buying something the other day. I was having a really bad day on Wednesday and needed to get out for some air and walked into town. I ended up in TKMax looking for some long sleeved sports type tops (as that is where I get my gym wear from) but couldn't find any but I did find some three quarter length sports leggings which I have also been needing. I think they are 2 coupons so I have 52 coupons left. I know I shouldn't spend money to try and cheer myself up but I did buy something I needed. I'm going out tonight for the first time in a long time and I am looking forward to getting to wear something from my existing "posh" stuff for a change. I'm a bit nervous as it has been ages since I have been out and about on a night out but if I wear something I love that should make me feel a bit more confident.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I succumbed to buying something the other day. I was having a really bad day on Wednesday and needed to get out for some air and walked into town. I ended up in TKMax looking for some long sleeved sports type tops (as that is where I get my gym wear from) but couldn't find any but I did find some three quarter length sports leggings which I have also been needing. I think they are 2 coupons so I have 52 coupons left. I know I shouldn't spend money to try and cheer myself up but I did buy something I needed. I'm going out tonight for the first time in a long time and I am looking forward to getting to wear something from my existing "posh" stuff for a change. I'm a bit nervous as it has been ages since I have been out and about on a night out but if I wear something I love that should make me feel a bit more confident.

Have a lovely night out tonight, Lisa.

I’m sure you will be perfectly dressed and look great.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Have a lovely night out tonight, Lisa.

I’m sure you will be perfectly dressed and look great.

- Pip

I bet she does/did, too - feeling as if you belong in your clothes is the best way to look good, regardless of what the clothes are!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Ooooh, coupon-saving just got easier... a friend decided she's not knitted with laceweight yarn in years so when we met for cakes this morning, she handed over a bag wth about 80 quids' worth of reeeally lovely alpaca/ silk/ cashmere yarns in gorgeous colours!

wow!

Now considering knitting a little slipover in several colours of laceweight, to wear on cooler summer days - a slipover being my old-fashioned term for a sleeveless pullover :)
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Drool ... what a lovely friend!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Argh! I fear I may have 'lost' my loom knitting effort at the bind off stage! Noooooooo
    Will attempt to rehook it but the gauge is so small I'm losing the loops. I may need to mentally prepare myself for the task.

Coupons still in place. It's definitely been a good challenge for me if for no reason than actually realising that I do purchase a lot second hand and feeling somewhat better about my eco-conscious efforts - which I had been feeling rather disheartened by - mostly thanks to social media
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    feeling somewhat better about my eco-conscious efforts - which I had been feeling rather disheartened by - mostly thanks to social media

You and me both! I keep seeing & lusting after all those lovely linen-effect asymmetric smocky-things, which several of my friends wear day in, day out, and look effortlessly stylish in. However, they are beanpoles, and I am - not! I've tried a few on in charity shops, and I look like nothing quite so much as a mobile marquee, despite the fact I'm not actually that big; it's all in the shape & the drape, as they say!
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lagen-Look I love for how comfy it seems but being 5ftnotalot it just doesn't wear well on me and I end up resenting it all.
    So I'm still 100% on where I'm at style wise but I'm for now embracing being fluid with that, and working on finding that which doesn't trigger me sensory wise first
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • BabyStepper
    BabyStepper Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just ducking in to say I have blown my voucher budget completely out of the water and am scared to add it up, I thought about stopping the challenge but I love the chat and info about clothing history, mindful shopping etc so I'm staying, even if this year will likely be an epic fail from me.

Also to add about boots, I'm not overweight and have never got a pair of knee high boots or wellies to comfortably fit over my calves. Thanks for the explanation about where they are made, it makes sense, we don't have fat calves we are just western women with different bodies. Love it! :T
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Just ducking in to say I have blown my voucher budget completely out of the water and am scared to add it up, I thought about stopping the challenge but I love the chat and info about clothing history, mindful shopping etc so I'm staying, even if this year will likely be an epic fail from me.

Well, how about seeing if you can identify HOW you blew the year's coupons in 3 months, and then start again with 33 coupons, half a year's worth, and see how you do at making that last out the rest of the year?

I know that isn't how it worked during the war, but we have the added disadvantages of having grown up in a hugely profligate society and being surrounded by constant advertising tempting and luring us, whereas in the war they were surrounded by advertising encouraging them NOT to buy new clothes!

So I reckon - Pip being the final arbiter, of course - I reckon it's reasonable to have just the one 33-coupon re-start during the first half of the year, so long as the person has a good go at working out what happened and how to prevent it...

What do others think? I did it last year, because I lost count and forgot to make notes and ended up with no idea if I had none or thirty or fifty or what, so I started again and even then ended up buying on the black market... but we keep TRYING, that's the point!

And yes, totally agree about the lovely company! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure