IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Euro car parks, overstay while at work

Hello all,

I need help with this parking ticket and i couldn’t find a similar case in the forum so i would really appreciate any help to win it or if i can be directed to a similar case that would be great.

I received a charge for overstaying in St James retail park in Sheffield. I was working as a locum for the day of the incident at Specsavers Opticians in the retail park. The car park had a limit of 3 hours for parking and I was there from around 9am until 6pm.

I made the mistake of appealing to euro car parks before looking at this forum so I have told them that I was the driver on the day. My appeal was that i was working at the opticians for the day and that I had checked with a member of staff if i was allowed to park there and i was told that it was ok. (I had a parking ticket for the same reason about a year ago and when i appealled stating that i was working there they accepted my appeal and cancelled it.) However, they have rejected my appeal this time.

One of the reasons for the rejection was that it is my responsibility as a contractor/visitor to give my car details to the store for it to be passed on to euro car parks to then be added to an exemption list for the day. I had no idea that this was the case otherwise i would have made sure i give my details to the staff at the store while i was there.

They have provided me with a popla reference which i will use to appeal. I think my main defence is that there is no information on the singnge that states that visitors/contractors have the responsibility of providing their details to the stores and also that the staff at the store didnt make me aware of this. I will contact the store where i worked and will ask them to help me get this cancelled. I really feel that this wasnt my fault i would have provided my car info if i knew that i had to give them my car details.

I will write up my popla appeal in the next few days but do you guys think that this has a chance of winning with the reasons that i mentioned? Also i would really appreciate any other ideas that i can add to this.

Thank you

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think that before you get bogged down with a PoPLA appeal that you should urgently ask Specsavers to arrange for this PCN to be cancelled.

That really should've been the first thing to have done - as soon as you received the first notice from ECP.
  • Thanks for this Keith

I guess because this happened to me before and it was cancellled after my first appeal I assumed the same will happen this time. I will call the store tomorrow and ask them to help me with getting it cancelled.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Elham1111 wrote: »
    My appeal was that i was working at the opticians for the day and that I had checked with a member of staff if i was allowed to park there and i was told that it was ok.
    Specsavers need to get this cancelled or pay your "fine" under the principle of promissory estoppel
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/promissory_estoppel.asp
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Don't let Specsavers turn a blind eye to this!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • I spoke to the manager at the store and emailed her the details. She said she will get in touch with them and get it revoked. Am just waiting for her reply now. I hope this will be the end of it.

Thanks guys for your replies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport